Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Debug without Downloading — Parallax Forums

Using Debug without Downloading

Jeff91Jeff91 Posts: 4
edited 2006-05-05 02:19 in BASIC Stamp
Lets say I want to use debug to monitor my basic stamp. Now I don't want to download the program to the stamp everytime I want to use the debug window. How do I get the debug window to start accepting to stamp's signal without downloading the program to the stamp and waiting for the window to pop-up?

~Jeff

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-05 00:32
    No problem, just manually open a Debug Terminal and set it to the COM port that your Stamp is connected to. The baud rate for DEBUG is 9600.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Jeff91Jeff91 Posts: 4
    edited 2006-05-05 00:42
    I do this but nothing happens. I check DTR and RTS boxes and still nothing happens. When I click "Identification" the editor says my BS1 is connected so I know there is no connection problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jeff Stevens

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/jeffs_christmas
  • Jeff91Jeff91 Posts: 4
    edited 2006-05-05 02:13
    I tried this again but with no results.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jeff Stevens

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/jeffs_christmas
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-05 02:19
    Uh-oh, problem; the BS1 DEBUG packet is not a simple serial stream as with the BS2, it will only work properly after a download. The reason for this is that with the very small size of the BS1 EEPROM (256 bytes), a lot of the DEBUG information is stored in the editor and it takes care of proper display. The BS1 DEBUG statement actually sends everything, including the current program address; the IDE uses the program address to format the BS1 DEBUG output per the code. It seems a bit convoluted I'm sure, but this was done to preserve the small BS1 memory.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax