Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mini TV Display power supply? — Parallax Forums

Mini TV Display power supply?

PARPAR Posts: 285
edited 2006-05-05 15:54 in Propeller 1
What kind(s) of power supply(s) does the Mini TV Display take?
(voltage, consumption, battery type(s), wall-wart too?)

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=603-32000

(power req is·not described on the product page)

PAR

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-04 15:56
    PAR,

·· That unit uses our 12V Power Supply linked below.· We will update that page accordingly.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=750-00007

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2006-05-04 17:20
    OK. So, does that mean no (modest number/size of) batteries can be inserted/connected to it ? The product page,
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=603-32000, states:

"This product is portable and you can bring it anywhere easily."

which might be interpreted to mean that it's battery-powerable, or does it just mean that the device is small and light-weight?

PAR
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-04 18:05
    The link is to a 12volts, 1amp power supply.
    The keyboard usually needs 350ma at 5volts.
    I am not sure, but the mouse may need as much as 350ma.

So, if you use a 12volt 8AH Lead gel cell, you could have a few hours at least, maybe more than 4.

I have a Palm PDA, a Nokia cell phone, and a Besta Chinese-English dictionary that all provide color display and even with automatic shutdown, they don't last for more than four hours with video output.· None can be easily viewed in direct sunlight.

I suspect that this display can easily be viewed in direct sunlight, so it requires more power.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/4/2006 6:22:20 PM GMT
    edited 2006-05-04 18:19
    Well, it's portable in the sense that you can put it in your pocket and take it with you.· If you have a 12V battery pack I guess you could run it, be we don't have any figures yet on current draw on that unit so I can't tell you how long the batteries will last.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-05-04 18:32
    Okay,

·· I did some imperical testing and found that the display draws ~180mA when just powered on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-04 18:36
    If you want to have it truly portable, put together a pack of 4 AAs and a DC-DC step-up converter.
    (Just use Ni-cad or Ni-mh as they can deliver a higher current than alcalines)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2006-05-04 18:48
    I believe this is the same LCD monitor I have used before.· It provides a very nice picture for it's tiny size and low price.· It is a 4:3 aspect ratio TFT LCD display with 112,320 pixels.· It draws 4.75 watts at 12 volts, which comes to something in the·350-400 ma range.

Edit: Chip has later indicated that this display I have is not the same as Parallax's.· Parallax's seems to draw in the 180 ma range.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski

Post Edited (Stan671) : 5/5/2006 3:48:48 PM GMT
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-05-04 20:56
    sounds like a winner for a propeller based car computer

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-04 21:04
    But...

If you look at online auctions or car-audio/video sites you'll find lots of 7" screens, some even motorized and meant to be built into the dash, or hanging down from the roof...
    (they often have multiple inputs, too, so that the small kids in the back seat can use it with a PlayStation when the bigger kids aren't playing with their Propellers... Or maybe use a Hydra... )

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2006-05-04 21:24
    Stan,

·· I don't think it's the same display since this one only draws ~180mA.· I just tested it running our Graphics Demo.· Pushing the audio will bring that up a little, but not the 350mA - 400mA yours draws.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2006-05-05 15:54
    Only 180 ma or a little more is NICE for a small battery powered project.

Another LCD display I used accepted 12 volts only because it was designed to go in a car, but it just put that through a 5 Volt regulator.· I just bypassed the regulator and fed it from my 5 volt bus.

I wonder if it Parallax's LCD monitor can be hacked to operate on only 5 Volts?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski