Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help!!! Lcd, project due this afternoon — Parallax Forums

Help!!! Lcd, project due this afternoon

Lobo05Lobo05 Posts: 12
edited 2006-05-04 03:40 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Everyone,

Our senior design project is due this afternoon and the LCD display has gone on the fritz.· There is bleeding through the screen, I have adjusted the contrast, changed the connections to the controller, checked the 5v and ground lines....etc.· Does anybody recognize a quick solution to this?

HELP!!!
1600 x 1200 - 977K

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-03 18:49
    The way it's mounted to the case makes me wonder if any of the circuitry is touching the metal of the enclosure.· It sure looks it from the picture you posted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-05-03 18:53
    I've seen those marks before -- I'll bet you are crushing the bezel (black frame) and the glass across the LCD.· Loosen Up!
  • Lobo05Lobo05 Posts: 12
    edited 2006-05-03 18:58
    Tried that...didn't work? Maybe over time? The patterns are not very consistent.
    edited 2006-05-03 19:00
    Oh, and the enclosure is made out of plastic.....
    edited 2006-05-03 19:11
    Made sure that nothing is touching it, and made sure there isn't too much pressure. Don't know at this point unless circuitry is fried!
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-03 19:14
    Is the LCD resting on thin rubber strips?
    (you will probably have to remove the bezel)
    If so, take a look at them as they have conductive material in the middle.

The strips may have become misaligned.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-05-03 19:15
    What were the events that preceded the failure?

Is this the same location that it WAS working in?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-05-03 19:35
    Well, they look just like the marks that I see if I push my finger across an LCD (doing it now).· If they persist, then it's under some mechanical pressure (maybe something was pushing on it for a long while in a box or something?).· Maybe it got whacked?· That's how I see it.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-05-03 20:01
    Hmm, your remark that the patterns are inconsistant speak against mechanical stress. The problem reminds me of the anomolies that occur from overclocking video cards, I just don't know how that has any bearing on your current situation. I think that either the processor is malfunctioning (Im assuming your using a serial module which has a processor on the LCD, or Chris's first suggestion that something is touching the LCD ground (panel) that shouldn't be. Have you tried unmounting the LCD and running it outside the case?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-03 22:14
    I didn't realize the case was plastic, but stress against the LCD frame will definately cause problems.· Remember, there really is liquid crystal in there...That stuff only takes just so much abuse.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • MuncherMuncher Posts: 38
    edited 2006-05-04 03:40
    When all else fails, remember, it is still legible. If you can't find the problem, and can't replace it, try to make it as legible as possible.