Leticia ProjectLeticia Project Posts: 30
edited 2006-05-03 20:32 in BASIC Stamp
New Pics avaible!

http://www.projectleticia.com/step8-0.html

There is only a few weeks left to testdrive! icon_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-03 13:45
    Is there a BASIC Stamp in the mix somewhere?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-05-03 16:30
    Yes, this uses a BASIC Stamp http://www.projectleticia.com/technical-properties.html

These guys are making an unmanned (well, remote control) wakeboard boat for single-person wakeboarding. If you drop the ski rope the boat will circle around and come back for you. You can control speed and direction of the boat from the wakeboarder's position, maybe via the handle. Hmmm. There must be some reason for having three people the usual wakeboarding mix (one boarder, boat driver, flag person), but like unmanned aerial vehicles and Segway, this concept is so strange maybe no rules can easily be applied to such an idea.

This is kind of like riding on a rocket. Maybe there's less liability in Sweden, too.

I think it would be safer to turn this into an autonomous Salmon fishing boat.

Interesting idea and I hope to see it in use by these students.

- Ken
    edited 2006-05-03 17:06
    Cool -- I went looking but didn't find the Stamp. I wonder if it would be possible to put a small transpoder on the skier so that the boat could find him/her after a fall.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-05-03 17:27
    Perhaps finding the skier is possible, and running them over is also a possibility.

Ken
    edited 2006-05-03 18:03
    Good point.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Leticia ProjectLeticia Project Posts: 30
    edited 2006-05-03 18:56
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Perhaps finding the skier is possible, and running them over is also a possibility.

Ken
    Well, the idea at this moment is to use a circuit that sense water, when the handle gets in the water, it sends a signal to the BS
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-03 19:16
    Don't.

It may get 'unstable' after the skier has had an accident or two...

It's better to use some sort of 'dead man's switch' in the handle that he must keep depressed at all times.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Leticia ProjectLeticia Project Posts: 30
    edited 2006-05-03 20:12
    Gadgetman said...
    Don't.

It may get 'unstable' after the skier has had an accident or two...

It's better to use some sort of 'dead man's switch' in the handle that he must keep depressed at all times.

But the circuit is placed inside the boat, and we use double sensors and circuits? We will make alot of testes before we try it in "reality"
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-05-03 20:32
    There are pictures of the Stamp under the Electronic Box link on the left-hand side of the page.