Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot program FastIrRoaming — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot program FastIrRoaming

PiersonPierson Posts: 33
edited 2006-05-19 00:35 in Robotics
Hi,

I just bought my Boe-Bot at RShack a few days ago. I have been watching the decline of RS for a while now, and I'm sad to see it go. I remember when they sold vacuum tubes!

Anyway, I've got a project I'm trying to work on. I've been going through the manual, and I'm trying to run the FastIrRoaming program listed on page 252 of the Boe-Bot manual. Unfortunately, whenever I startup the Bot and put it on the floor, it runs backwards. I've tried it on two different floors, a concrete garage painted battleship gray, and a light-colored kitchen linoleum.

I ran the IR testing programs (TestLeftIrPair, TestRightIrPair, TestIrPairsAndIndicators, IrInterferenceSniffer, P1LedHigh) first. The only problem I came across was that the right sensor was a little bit less sensitive (took an extra inch to reflect off the piece of paper) and a little jumpy. I swapped the LED and sensor from left to right, it tested just the same. So I'm guessing it's because of resistor tolerances.

When the program is running and the Bot moves backwards, I wave my hand in front of the sensors and it reacts by moving left or right, never straight ahead.

I've looked at my code maybe 5 times. I've also checked to make sure I had the components in their proper places. I did have two resistors swapped early on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pierson

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-02 15:46
    It sounds like you may have the servos swapped in the P12/P13 servo headers. Try swapping them and see what happens.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • PiersonPierson Posts: 33
    edited 2006-05-02 16:02
    Thank you for the quick response.

I swapped the servo connectors and it worked. I was too lazy to tape the wires and label them when I assembled them.

I was able to get the Boe to go around my kitchen without hitting the walls, after adjusting the LEDs and the sensors.

I have more questions, but I have to think about how to state them so they make sense.

Thanks again.

Pierson
  • gelfling6gelfling6 Posts: 60
    edited 2006-05-19 00:35
    Where was it, someone said, Sometimes the best fixes, aren't as complicated..

And another someone said, When in a losing war, Switch sides! :LOL: