Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Project Ideas? — Parallax Forums

Project Ideas?

GimpsGTPGimpsGTP Posts: 3
edited 2006-05-03 22:44 in BASIC Stamp
I have a class with that deals with the basic stamp 2 processor, i need a project idea, having a hard time selecting one. There are are really no requirments, just has to have the basic stamp 2 involved. seeing as i just started with the basic stamp 2 im hoping for it to be an easier project, any help would be great. Please help with both wiring diagram and the coding involved.
Thanks
Nick

Comments

• Pezi_Pink!Pezi_Pink! Posts: 32
    edited 2006-04-30 13:27
    Make a time machine!

But seriously, what sort of level are you talking about? Warping time or lighting LEDs?

Limitless projects are avaliable, why don't you take a look at the myriad of free documents and nuts'n'volts columns on this site you will have more possiblities than you know what to do with, and all the related information for programming and electronics.

edit; sorry I didn't see you say "hoping for it to be easier"! Take a look at some of those docs though you will find lots of beginner projects as this is an educational site.

Post Edited (Pezi_Pink!) : 4/30/2006 1:37:18 PM GMT
  • GimpsGTPGimpsGTP Posts: 3
    edited 2006-04-30 20:13
    im new to this site, where is the nuts'n'volts section? and yes im just looking for something beginner
    thanks
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-04-30 20:16
    GimpsGTP said...
    where is the nuts'n'volts section?"
    On the main Parallax site it's under "Downloads" in the menu bar.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2006-04-30 20:20
    Go to www.parallax.com, you should find everything in the downloads section.
  • GimpsGTPGimpsGTP Posts: 3
    edited 2006-04-30 21:08
    ok i looked through the nuts and volts section, im running short on time here, can anyone just direct me to an easy project, that has the code, parts needed, and a schematic, im getting desperate at this point, my teacher in this class is the worst teacher i have ever had and has done nothing this semester for us. im completely lost right now, im not very good with coding.
    thanks
  • jsmasterkingjsmasterking Posts: 35
    edited 2006-04-30 21:34
    A homemade 'SMART' mouse trap is easy to build and very cheap, plus it serves a purpose (a once useful purpose).

Search Parallax and the Forums, I think there is something about 'Build A Better Mousetrap."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·on····· plane··········································, when catching ducks

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"
    ··············································································^
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/jsmasterking

Post Edited (jsmasterking) : 6/5/2006 10:40:37 PM GMT
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-04-30 22:41
    OK, Desperate, here's the link to the downloadable StampWorks-2 --·http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/sw/Web-sw-v2.0.pdf
    You'll find projects from beginner to advanced and all of the "code" done for you.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 4/30/2006 10:52:18 PM GMT
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2006-05-01 01:46
    GimpsGTP said...
    I have a class with that deals with the basic stamp 2 processor, i need a project idea, having a hard time selecting one. There are are really no requirments, just has to have the basic stamp 2 involved.
    OK. Here's the simple project with "no" requirements but to involve the Basic Stamp.

Show that you:
    - Can read the manual (any manual that tells how to do the following)
    - Can power up your Stamp
    - Can connect your Stamp to your computer.
    - Can start up your PBasic editor
    - Can type a PBasic program in the PBasic editor
    - Can download the program to the Stamp
    - Can run the program on the Stamp

The program contains the following code (just cut and paste this in, don't bother retyping it):

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    end

Of course, you'll need to know which Stamp, BS2 or another kind, and which version of PBasic, 2.5 or an earlier version, that you are using. Change the statements above accordingly.

Each of the goals above requires you to perform several steps/actions, so the project is actually more complex than that list of goals may appear to suggest.

Any project you might imagine which is more complex than this would be going beyond the requirements ("involve the Stamp") you specified --your choice, but might be a bit more interesting.

To actually "show" that the program ran on the Stamp, you might want to stick the following line just before the "end" line:

debug "Hi"

And, to make the project even more complex, you might want to "Save..." the program on your computer.

Geez, darn teacher! When did she/he give you this assignment?

PAR
  • MuncherMuncher Posts: 38
    edited 2006-05-03 13:41
    Maybe an IR "Yardstick" to roughly measure how far an object is from the BS2. All the parts can be found at parallax. This project·is implemented in the Boe-bot manual, which i am willing to bet can be found for free online. Good luck (with the teacher and project)!
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-05-03 14:11
    A simple audio demo with an EMIC is always a good crowd pleaser.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2006-05-03 16:34
    LOL, PAR!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

My last words shall be - "NOT YET!!!"
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-03 17:39
    GimpsGTP said...
    ok i looked through the nuts and volts section, im running short on time here, can anyone just direct me to an easy project, that has the code, parts needed, and a schematic, im getting desperate at this point, my teacher in this class is the worst teacher i have ever had and has done nothing this semester for us. im completely lost right now, im not very good with coding.
    thanks

That is just about the weakest excuse ever.

Back in 1990 I went to a school to learn programming (at about college-level), and three classes REALLY stood out...

'Introduction to microcontrollers'
    In this class we had ONE lesson, where the teacher explained the basics of the Intel 8051 series mcu.
    Then he told us to 'build something that uses one, has some sort of input and a sensible output based on the input'... Then he packed up his books and moved back into his office. (Which was a small cubby in the electronics-lab) We could ask him for help if we were screwed, and he also told us which suppliers to stay the heck away from, but other than that we were on our own...
    The Timer a buddy and I built got us a 1.5 grade(1 is perfect, to get a 6 you had to not just blow up the classroom with your project, but well... a 4. or better was 'passed')
    Incidentally, he had run this class the same way for 10 years without a single 'fail'...

Then there was 'Operating Systems' which was a class held in the Spring semester...
    Unfortunately, the teacher didn't get back from climbing Mount Everest before the beginning of February... And only THEN did he decide which books we were to use, so that the bookshop could order it. (Incidentally, it was the same book he had used for the last three or four years)
    Classes consisted of him standing there and reading out of the book...
    As I had the habit of reading the chapter the day before, to prepare myself, I got rather good at Origami during the spring...
    I got a decent score, but no thanks to that teacher...

And the third class?
    That was a class in 'data structures and algorithms' held by a Swedish Professor.
    How good was he?
    He quit M$ in disgust, that's how good...
    He taught me more about programming in a single semester than others could have in two years.
    He would also NOT tolerate any sloppyness, and woe upon any student who just copied someone else's code. If he thought the code looked too much like someone else's he would ask you what it did and why. Fail to answer, and... fail the assignment...

Three teachers, three different teaching methods, and I still got good grades in all...

Why?
    I read the books, studied whatever material was available(in mcu-class that was a whole wall of databooks... ) and did the assignments.
    Relying upon others to do your work for you will sooner or later kick you where the sun doesn't shine...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • MuncherMuncher Posts: 38
    edited 2006-05-03 22:44
    to Gadgetman: that swedish professor reminds me of my current english teacher.

Quote:
    He would also NOT tolerate any sloppyness, and woe upon any student who just copied someone else's code. If he thought the code looked too much like someone else's he would ask you what it did and why. Fail to answer, and... fail the assignment...

Yep, she's got it all.

to GimpsGTP:
    Question: If you can't code a project that is otherwise done for you, why take the class in the first place?

Edit:

My project idea was (but I didn't have enough time then to type it) a counter that is sent a pulse to increment itself every time the chip turns on. It changes the position in eeprom that a number is stored, thereby increasing the write cycles before burning out that location. Possible? probably. Practical? probably not. Good Luck!

Post Edited (Muncher) : 5/4/2006 3:34:07 AM GMT