Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Development? Demo? Carrier? — Parallax Forums

Development? Demo? Carrier?

RealLaxRealLax Posts: 14
edited 2006-04-27 21:02 in BASIC Stamp
If we look at www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/boards/programming_boards.asp it will show all the differnt parallax boards. Some say 'development', some say 'demo' and some say 'carrier'. What is the difference between each of those types? Which type should I use if I am making a project that involves an LCD screen and a GPS transmitter?

Thanks!

Post Edited By Moderator (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 4/26/2006 1:13:22 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-26 13:15
    That depends, of course, on your final goal. If you're wanting a permanent solution where you can connect components using point-to-point soldering, go with the carrier board. If you're just experimenting, the development or demo boards will work -- choose which one suits you best.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • RealLaxRealLax Posts: 14
    edited 2006-04-27 12:17
    Jon Williams (Parallax) said...
    That depends, of course, on your final goal. If you're wanting a permanent solution where you can connect components using point-to-point soldering, go with the carrier board. If you're just experimenting, the development or demo boards will work -- choose which one suits you best.

Hmmmm... so I guess that means I will need a development/demo board now to test things and work things out and then a carrier board later on.

Basically that seems to mean I should get either the Parallax Professional Development Board or the BS2p24/40 Demo Board. What are the pros & cons of each of those boards? How should I decide which one to use? My project will involve an LCD screen, a GPS receiver, and propably some sort of keypad.

Any thoughts, comments or ideas are very welcome smile.gif
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-27 14:31
    I'm not the sales type, so I won't try to sell you on any given product, you have to make that decision for yourself. What I will tell you is this: I can have any Parallax product on my desk, and what I have is the PDB. It will do everything the BS2p demo board will do and more. Cost is not an issue for me, but it may be for you, so read through the documentation of both products and choose what works best. If you're doing a 1-off, cost is probably important. If you're looking at a long-term development platform, the PDB cost is easily justified.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • RealLaxRealLax Posts: 14
    edited 2006-04-27 21:02
    Jon Williams (Parallax) said...
    What I will tell you is this: I can have any Parallax product on my desk, and what I have is the PDB. It will do everything the BS2p demo board will do and more.

Thanks Jon, that is very informative, and interesting!!

From what little I've read, I thought that the BS2p Demo board could do more, not the other way around!
    I will have to do some more research this weekend...

Thanks for the info!!