Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
G — Parallax Forums

G

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2006-11-17 09:38 in General Discussion
Dear SXers:

Parallax·donated our sales to a·hurricane Katrina relief fund some time ago, and Günther Daubach volunteered $500 for the fund plus revenue from a batch of bare SX28 Multiboards. While we've been busy with Propeller we haven't spent much time·with our·SX forum. We are changing that today by providing those 20 SX Multiboards for free, to our SX customers.·

Well-written documentation for the SX Multiboard is·provided below from Günther. Note that I've had to reduce the file size under 2 MB to get it on this forum, so the pictures are low resolution. I'll come back to this post and edit tonight to see that the schematic is legible. The documentation even includes·Parallax part numbers for many of the components used on the board.·Depending on how you populate this PCB you may not need all of the parts.·You may need to call us to order these components as they're not all listed on the web site.

Long term, we aim to offer this as a·kit. Getting to that point is taking a long time because of other products in the Parallax pipeline. ·

To get your SX Multiboard, simply send an e-mail to Jan Mirrione, our·Receptionist (jmirrione@parallax.com). Jan will put your board in an envelope and send·it off U.S. Airmail (no insurance, no tracking, limit one per customer). International requests are okay, too.

Thanks·Günther!

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.
SX Multiboard Photo Fully Assembled
attachment.php?attachmentid=41395

SX Multiboard Description

The SX28 Multi Board was designed as platform for various SX28 applications to fill the gap between experimental boards, like the Parallax SXTech Board, or prototype boards with only a minimum of pre-installed components. It is well-suited for single applications or small production series where the design of customized PCBs is not cost-effective enough.

For improved EMI protection, this is a four-layer board with two inner supply layers, one connected to the positive (Vdd), and one to the negative (Vss) supply voltage, providing an excellent filtering of the supply voltage.

Besides the necessary solder pads for an SX28 AC/DP microcontroller, and its minimum support components, the SX28 Multi Board is prepared for installing the following functional groups:
  • Enhanced SX28 reset circuit
  • RS-232 serial interface with MAX 232 level-shifter, and SUB-D 9 female connector
  • Supply voltage regulator (7805 or equivalent) with power connector
  • Serial I²C EEPROM (24LCxx or equivalent)
  • Three indicator LEDs
  • Components for one ADC, based on the popular “Bitstream Continuous Calibration” virtual peripheral for the SX, or for one PWM-controlled DAC.

Also available are solder pads for various pin-headers:
  • 4-pin header for the SX-Key/SX-Blitz Debugger/Programmer
  • 4-pin header for an external I²C bus
  • 6-pin header for TTL-level serial interface, e.g. for Parallax BASIC Stamps
  • 4-pin header for direct connection to the MAX 232 level-shifter
  • 26-pin header for all SX28 I/O port pins, reset, supply voltage, and analog input/output

Two 2x2 jumper blocks are provided for:
  • I²C pull-up resistor enable/disable
  • TTL-level serial interface handshake configuration

Additional, application-specific components may be installed in the available breadboarding areas (solder pads with 1/10” spacing).

The SX28 Multi Board is divided in three major sections:
  • The “Main Section” with the SX28 controller
  • The “RS-232 Section” with the MAX232 level-shifter, and the SUB-D 9 connector
  • The “Regulator Section” with the 7805 regulator, the support components, and the power connector.

The board can either be used “full-size”, i.e. with all sections attached, sized 2.95 x 2.5” (75.0 x 63.5 mm), or with the “RS-232 Section” and/or the “Regulator Section” cut-off, leaving a “Mini Board”, sized 2.0 x 1.8” (50.0 x 46.0 mm).

Cut-off parts of the board, i.e. the “RS-232 Section” and the “Regulator Section” can be used as stand-alone parts.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 4/25/2006 11:43:12 PM GMT
327 x 310 - 64K

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-04-26 00:17
    G
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-04-26 00:27
    I made the list and will have mine sent out in 2-3 days. Yea!
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-04-26 08:51
    Ken,

Thanks for including the International customers!

james
  • DunnseptDunnsept Posts: 115
    edited 2006-04-26 14:33
    Poor Jan...
    her inbox probably is getting swamped.
    (sent an email yesterday but never heard back.)
    I must say that the more time I spend on the forum and the more I talk to friends who use other controllers, the happier I am that I decided to go with Parallax products.. great stuff and great support!

Post Edited (Dunnsept) : 4/26/2006 5:05:10 PM GMT
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-04-26 16:36
    Dear SXers,

although Parallax has spent an extra amount into the Katrina relief fund for these boards, they are giving them away for free to you now. I think this is a generous offer - so if you lucky enough getting a board, you are welcome to make a donation to an aid fund of your choice.

I have attached the schematic in higher resolution for your reference.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-04-27 04:00
    Hello-

This opportunity is now closed.

Thanks,

Ken
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-27 17:02
    It is a great board [noparse][[/noparse]actually 3 boards in one if you choose to split it up].

The SX-28 DIP really needs this. Unlike the old SX-18 that could match a PIC 18pin dip Proto board, the SX-28 cannot be plugged into a PIC board of any kind [noparse][[/noparse]the Osc pins are located differently]. So, there has been nothing else available.

Since it is 4 layers, it is optimal for the higher speed of the SXes.· And being able to cut it into 3 different boards increases its worth as a bargain.· What you don't need, can be used on another project -- even a BS2 or a Propeller maybe.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/27/2006 5:06:32 PM GMT
  • DigitalDjDigitalDj Posts: 207
    edited 2006-05-02 00:29
    I got my board! Thanks Ken, Gunther, Jan and everyone at Parallax!

This will save me on a project that Paul and i are working on and not having to have any processor boards made.

Where on the website are these available for purchase?

Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Education And Experience Teaches Knowledge Not Arrogance ! (Unknown)
    The Only Stupid Question Is The One Not Asked ! (Unknown, of coarse this is something that i would say)
    Do Not Burn The Bridge That Has Brought You Forth You May·Need To Journey Back ! (Chinese)

Post Edited (DigitalDj) : 5/2/2006 12:46:58 AM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-05-02 03:22
    Hi Kevin,

At the moment the SX Multiboard is not available for sale on our website. They could be at some point in the near future, though.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-05-02 07:01
    Ken,
    I missed out on getting a free board, but still would like to purchase one or more.

I just got my Propellers which are my second order from Parallax this year. Obviously, you will be getting another from me as the Propeller progresses.

If the SX-28 board is in inventory, it will be easy to add one or more to my next order. I have wanted Guenther's SX-28 board for sometime, but piecemeal shipping really increases my overall expense.

You might be happy to know that my Parallax shopping list is growing. I see the Penguin's are about to go out. And then there are the Propellor accessories, particularly the video screen and PropSTICK. I do understand that trying to figure out how much inventory to carry when you have so many new products is nearly impossible. I can't afford everything. But, as I mentioned above -- there really isn't anything similar Guenther's board. I already have about 20 SX-28s on hand.

It seems it might become a staple item.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Mike WMike W Posts: 105
    edited 2006-05-03 17:51
    Ken, Gunther, Jan and everyone at Parallax!

I got my board yesterday,

Thanks

I am working on a project·now and was getting ready to switch from BS2 to SX/B and this little jem will be perfect.

Mike W
    edited 2006-06-14 21:09
    Dear SXers,

for all of you who are interested in the SX20 Multiboard, I now have found a way to make the boards available at reasonable shipping costs for those of you living in the US and Canada.

The boards can be shipped to US/Canadian addresses via USPS for US$ 15.00 each including shipping and handling.

If you are interested, please download the docs here:

www.g-daubach.com/docs/sx28multibrd.pdf

and send me a private eMail to

g.daubach@mda-burscheid.de

with your order. I can accept payments to my PayPal account, or by check drawn to a US bank.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-06-15 16:29
    Guenther's boards are very handy, I recommend them highly.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2006-09-03 18:16
    Guenther Daubach said...
    Dear SXers,

for all of you who are interested in the SX20 [noparse][[/noparse]sic]·Multiboard, I now have found a way to make the boards available at reasonable shipping costs for those of you living in the US and Canada.

The boards can be shipped to US/Canadian addresses via USPS for US$ 15.00 each including shipping and handling.

If you are interested, please download the docs here:

and send me a private eMail to

g.daubach@mda-burscheid.de

with your order. I can accept payments to my PayPal account, or by check drawn to a US bank.

now returns:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73621
    476 x 151 - 5K
    edited 2006-09-03 20:43
    www.g-daubach.com

Just go directly to his web site and you take a look.
    The site is English Friendly and the board is pure German Excellence

As with most bad links, try the front door.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 9/3/2006 8:56:35 PM GMT
    edited 2006-09-03 22:36
    PAR,

sorry for this hassle - somehow, the doc file name on the server was messed up.

The www.g-daubach.com/docs/sx28multibrd.pdf link should work again now, as would do the www.g-daubach.com/docs/sx28multiboard.pdf link.

BTW: There is still enough supply available in the US, so shipping costs within the American continent will be pretty low - no need to pay oversea postage from Germany.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-11-04 00:14
    Hello SXers:

my "sales agent" in the US (my daughter) is going to come back to Germany by the end of November. She still has some SX28 Multi Boards on stock. So, if you want some at reasonable shipping fees to the US, please place your orders soon, before she's heading home.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-11-13 10:28
    Dear SXers,

thanks to thie information from Kramer, I noticed that the pictures in the PDF file that is attached to Ken's initial post in this thread are of very bad quality. You can download the most recent manual with high-quality pictures from www.g-daubach.com/docs/sx28multiboard.pdf.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-11-13 16:25
    Hi again Guenther,
    I am just finishing up soldering my two Mutiboards and one question came to mind as an afterthought.

Are these Rohs compliant boards? I am using Lead, so it is merely a trivial issue.
    I am trying to figure out what it will be like for me to mix Rohs components and Lead solder in the future.

Anyone who has had trouble with assembly due to bad pictures, good images are directly available from Guenther.
    And, there is a recent revision due to one items of errata.

BTW, I have managed to insert a 2nd RS-232 port driven by the Max232 level shifter in the 'empty corner' of the board and it is optionally provided via two jumpers to a couple of Port C bits. This board really rocks! !!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2006-11-13 21:30
    Kramer,

the boards are Rohs compliant but there is no reason to worry about using lead solder or installing non-Rohs complinat components on the boards as long as you don't plan to commercially sell the end-products into Europe smile.gif .

Hey, the second RS-232 port sounds interesting - it would be great if you could post a picture showing how you have placed the additional components in the "empty corner".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-11-15 13:32
    I will post a photo with the additional port ASAP. I used a 2x5 pin socket on the board and have the 2nd DB-9 on the end of a short ribbon cable. I also included jumpers so that I can choose to use or not use the 2nd port. No photos yet.

I am NOT concerned about export and Rohs. I was just wondering if it might be any harder to solder with lead solder. There seems to be no difference.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-11-16 15:37
    Hi again,

Here are a couple of photos of my completed SX28 multiboard with the second RS-232 port.· I used PortC-bit2 and PortC-bit3 because Port A already has full use, Port B remains unallocated and parts of PortC were used.·

As you can see, I used a ribbon cable DB-9 because it can plug in or be removed from the board.· Also, the 2x13 connector is on the backside of the board.· In this way I can keep the board atop a stack and reprogram easily.· Also, I can read the location of each port pin at any time.· The SX-Key has a 4 pin plug rather than header because I have occasionally had trouble with the header getting in the way.· If someone touches the bare OSC pins, the system resets or locks up.

I used an LM2940-5 low drop out regulator and omited the protection diodes as that regulator has internal protection against wrong polarity.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Kramer) : 11/16/2006 3:44:03 PM GMT
    827 x 662 - 199K
    1399 x 749 - 283K
    edited 2006-11-16 17:26
    Kramer,

good job "populating" the SX-28 Multi Board, and how you have added the second RS-232 port. When I do a board re-design in the future, I think I should trace the free MAX232 Tin/Tout, and Rin/Rout pins to solder pads. This would make the wiring a bit easier.

Also a nice idea how you have mounted the voltage regulator. This gives it some spacing from the board but still sinks heat to the board. Obviously, you have drilled a hole into the PCB to attach the regulator. Always keep in mind that the board has two inner layers to avoid EMI, one connected to Vdd, and the other to Vss or GND. If you run a metal screw through such a hole, double-check that it does not contact the inner layers to avoid a short.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-11-17 08:08
    I suppose I can enlarge the hole and put a bit shrinkwrap on the screw as a sleeve of insulation.

It would be nice to document areas where holes must not be drilled as one can only guess with a 4-layer board.· I made some 'educated guesses' about where I could drill.· But it is very much a gamble that can have unpleasant surprises.

I actually drilled two holes -- one for the voltage regulator & another for repositioning a standoff for better balance.· I used plastic standoffs because of the 4 layers.

Since the Max232 provides 4 lines - you might allow all options.· Either one can have full·handshaking lines or a second RS-232 port.· It would also be nice to provide the regulator hole so that no one has to drill.

In theroy, one board is enough for study, but it doesn't work well.· I·now have·4 SX-28 boards and one SX-20 board.· This really allows me to have several projects set up at the same time and when I get stuck on one, I move on without changing configurations.· Later I can go back when I get un-stuck and resolve the problem.

I also have my own board with a ribbon cable to the breadboard.· This allow me to disconnect and save a project if I need the board.

But, I can do a ribbon cable and much more with your board - so I won't be building more of my own.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1424 x 804 - 414K
    edited 2006-11-17 09:38
    Enlarging the hople a little, and putting shrinkwrap, or some other isolation on the screw is a good idea.

Actually, the two inner layers span all over the board in order to maximize the EMI protection, although the layers look like Swiss cheese due to all the through-holes for the components, and the breadboarding areas.

Yes, using the two free MAX232 lines for full handshaking is another good idea. So I should provide some locations for jumpers. This would it make easier to configure the use of the MAX232.

I was thinking about providing the hole for the regulator when I made the design but I left out the hole because I usually install the regulator vertically with a small heat sink attached in order to save real-estate on the board for other components. For some projects, I have vertically installed two regulators, with the second regulator for a servo.

As I still have a number of the current boards on stock, I will make a re-design possibly not before Spring or Summer 2007.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G