Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can BS2 ping IP address — Parallax Forums

Can BS2 ping IP address

Gwyan RhabytGwyan Rhabyt Posts: 4
edited 2006-04-25 13:15 in BASIC Stamp
I want to build a simple device that will keep my network connection up by using a BS2 to ping an external IP address (like 66.102.7.147 -- which is google) every ten seconds and if it fails for 5 tries in a row, then turning off a relay (to power cycle my dsl modem), waiting five seconds, and then turning the relay on again.
Would this require a PINK module? Or can a BS2 do it by itself? I could write the code and build it if it were serial info rather than a ping command. Would it be easier to just connect the stamp to a serial/ethernet interface like a picotux (www.picotux.com)?

Thanks,

Gwyan

Comments

• Grant_OGrant_O Posts: 36
    edited 2006-04-24 23:28
    I think if you wanted to do that it would take a lot of memory and algorithems. not only do you need it to use the ICMP Protocol for pinging, it would also have to be able to compile an internet frame consisting of the 7 layers of the OSI (open system interconection) model:

Application data
    Presintation data
    Session data
    Transport data
    Network data
    Datalink data
    Physical media

good luck though and let us know if you where secessful

Post Edited (Grant_O) : 4/24/2006 11:41:44 PM GMT
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-04-25 13:15
    Just in the interest of accuracy, I believe that the Presentation layer sat on top of the Application layer. Of course, it's been so long since I learned that stuff that I could just be mis-remembering... :^)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...