Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp (BS2) Simulator - Is anyone interested in one? — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp (BS2) Simulator - Is anyone interested in one?

Mike CollierMike Collier Posts: 25
edited 2006-05-03 14:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would use a simulator for the BS2?

I have been working on a simulator for Picaxe (UK based chip) but always had it in mind to move onto stamp. I build with both.

If it is something that people would use then I don't mind spending time on it, I don't currently have plans to sell it, the Picaxe version is free. But I would need to know it was getting used..

Any thoughts..

Picaxe version details here http://www.electro.ology.org.uk/

Cheers,
Mike

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-04-24 19:06
    I think many people would be FASCINATED with such a thing, especially if free.

The debugger has long been a weak-point of the BS2. It hasn't been a show-stopper, because the BS2 is pretty limited in memory space, and using "DEBUG" outputs can let you debug stuff. And it has a very fast edit-download-run cycle. But a simulator would be wonderful.

One thing to watch out for -- the BS2 is typically used as an I/O engine -- getting pulse widths with PULSIN, outputting pulses with PULSOUT, getting button presses, reading or writing shift registers, sending or recieving SERIN/SEROUT Rs-232. What I mean is, a simulator is going to need a rudimentary way to simulate these 'external pieces' so the user can single-step the simulator, and examine what messages go out to, and come in from, these simulated externals.

Make sure you check with Parallax, of course.· A Simulator makes a wonderful resource, but may also require coming too close to Parallax business secrets.
    ·
  • Mike CollierMike Collier Posts: 25
    edited 2006-04-24 19:51
    Thanks Allan, I agree with the input/output situation. I have some thoughts but not totally set on anything yet. For the moment I use the sim to make sure my logic/maths and program flow are OK.· I will have to give this some more thought...Mike.
  • Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-04-24 20:17
    Look here for a demo single step bs2 debug session
    http://www.eyewyre.com/
    Click on demo/tour
    Then click on BS2 debugging.

regards peter
  • Mike CollierMike Collier Posts: 25
    edited 2006-05-03 14:43
    I have just discovered some genuine emails from forum readers were being diverted into my spam folder, if anyone has contacted me regarding the sim etc (and hasn't had a reply) could they please resend, sorry and thanks Mike.