Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 baud limits — Parallax Forums

BS2 baud limits

SterlingSterling Posts: 51
edited 2006-04-24 19:01 in BASIC Stamp
I've seen conflicting information about baud limits. What is the max serial out baud rate a BS2 can handle?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-24 17:54
    That's a loaded question.· The limits of communication and the limits of sustained throughput are two different things with a BASIC Stamp which doesn't have a FIFO buffer or hardware UART.· Formatters used in the SERIN command can also limit receive speed of large packets of data.· This would be like sending command bytes and getting back small packet responses.· So you see, there are many factors to consider.· Generally the BS2 can do 38.4Kbps for general command byte style communication.· ASCII strings and packets of data work usually up to around 9600 bps if you're not using a lot of formatters in the SERIN command.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • SterlingSterling Posts: 51
    edited 2006-04-24 18:19
    Would 4800bps be the more reliable number if I want to ensure the data is sent? I suppose the lower the number, the more reliability I have?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-24 18:59
    The BS2 can transmit (SEROUT) up to about 50K baud (SERIN has limits if you want text-to-numeric conversion) -- if you have a good connection between point A and point B. If you connection is garbage, a lower baud rate will be more forgiving; that said, ALWAYS make the best connections you can (don't try to fix hardware problems with software).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-04-24 19:01
    9600 generally works well enough. Yes, the lower the number the longer a wire you can support.