Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Did I just burn the chip up? — Parallax Forums

Did I just burn the chip up?

MedDispenserMedDispenser Posts: 8
edited 2006-04-24 15:17 in BASIC Stamp
Ok I am using a board of education board with a bs2 chip. I just add the board accidentally laying on·a metal plate. Then I hurt a few little shorting out sounds. Now when I go to post a program it says no stamps found.

The bs2 chip also feels very warm after being plugged in a for a couple of minutes.

How would I know if the chip is dead.. is it the chip and board

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-04-23 22:35
    MedDispenser,

If it's dead then it may ID but not program. Using the buttons on the top of your BASIC Stamp Windows Editor you should be able to make this determination. Additionally, if you have another BASIC Stamp you could swap it out in the same board just to prove the point. I've done the metal plate experiment before, too.

We'll replace this for you. I think the Sales guys do a 50% RMA repair. E-mail Jim Carey, jcarey@parallax.com to get an RMA number. He usually gets to these requests very quickly.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-24 09:14
    Hot glue on the areas exposed on back of the board nicely prevents this.
    And it will peel off if you need to remove it.

I am always working amidst clutter and have found this to be quite good. Just one little screw or paper clip can to the same.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2006-04-24 15:17
    Med, All,

I do something similar to George, except I use double sided tape and some cardboard to cover the back of boards like the BOE etc. And for the same reason, I have smoked stuff like that too! My workspace is not, shall we say, approved by Better Homes and Gardens. I once trashed an Oncore GPS module. Ouch! Ever since then, I protect the back of any board I am working on.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot