Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Penguin?? — Parallax Forums

Penguin??

DonWDonW Posts: 37
edited 2006-05-01 21:32 in Robotics
Anything new on the Penguin bots as far as a release date?

Comments

• A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-23 15:11
    I thought Parallax wasn't going to sell the penguins.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
    -Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    ·
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-04-23 16:03
    Hi Don-

Sure, they're going to be available for sale.

We had one issue to resolve with the HM55B Magnetic Compass. We were receiving lots of interference from the batteries (not the motors). At this point both batteries were aligned in the same direction. After considering shields and moving the compass,·the more obvious solution came to us -·each battery would be pointed in an opposite direction to cancel·out their·fields (is this the·right word?). Now all electronics including the compass work perfectly! The little bot can march north, south, or six bits in between.

This week we'll build our final prototype board, then we're off to production.·The metal is all finished an already in our inventory. This is just a matter of electronics at this point.

Like you, I'm really ready to see this·robot become available.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc. ····
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2006-04-23 19:21
    Ken,

I was going to build my own Penguin per your drawing. Do you have any additional drawings such as the Delrin stride linkage and also, where did you find the battery holder? I have checked a few online retailers with no luck.

Thanks,

Eric
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-23 20:25
    I want a Penguin with a Propeller chip on it! -- THAT would be a lot of fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2006-04-23 22:20
    Eric,

The battery holder is from Keystone - it is the "N" size for CR123 batteries.

The stride linkage drawing is attached. Note that this drawing only shows one side - the other is a mirror.

I can send you a few Delrin stride parts made with my broach if it helps. The spline punch size is for the GWS Naro servos (we have these in stock if you need a few).

Let me know how this works out. I've seen one other Penguin built from·our drawings and it turned out really nice!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-04-23 22:46
    That N size did the trick! And thanks for the quick PM
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-23 23:15
    Eric -

You can generally get a few FREE samples from Keystone fairly quickly. FREE is GOOD! smile.gif

The request must go to Keystone itself, then they will farm out the sample request to one of their distributors that has stock of the part you need. I requested two shaft couplings, and had them in less than 10 days - no charge.

No harrassing emails or phone calls either, and they're nice folks to deal with. Some of their electro-mechanical parts are quite unique too.

Here is a link to their web site: http://www.keyelco.com/

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Kevin HoytKevin Hoyt Posts: 1
    edited 2006-04-28 18:23
    Ken,
    Any chance we could pre-order or at least get on a notification list so we know when the Penguin is available?

I'd sure be disappointed if I missed out on getting one...

Kevin Hoyt
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-04-28 18:30
    weedle256 said...
    Ken,

I'd sure be disappointed if I missed out on getting one...

Many of us would be.......
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-04-30 17:36
    I think it was another post where I pointed out that for a project like this, first quarter meant something like by August or so, if all went well (this includes not just things with the Penguin, but other projects as well). Somebody told me in a PM that I didn't know what I was talking about. Some of us who live in the real world have an idea of what's involved, and could read between the lines on priorities.

We are all on the notification list. All we need to do is watch 3 places. The "Announcements" forum, the Parallax home page, and this forum. We should be watching these 3 places anyways, as there are sorts of neat things that show up, including special discount pricing, new 3 axis accelerometers, propellers, etc. So what's the big deal?

If we ask Team Parallax to create a "notification list", or "pre-order" area, we take resources away from doing other things, including completion of the Mighty Penquin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
    edited 2006-04-30 21:37
    It is getting closer tongue.gif

Got my parts milled out today on the DIY wood / skate bearing mill. Most of the parts have arrived, still waiting on a few.

Pictures below
    1600 x 1200 - 844K
    640 x 480 - 156K
    edited 2006-05-01 01:56
    Eric,

That's really cool! Don't take this like an insult, but it goes to show that it's not always the tools you own but what you can do with them. I'm assuming you milled these parts with that dremel on the wood mill. If that's the case, I'm really impressed! Now that I see how far you've come, I'll be sure to get your parts ready to ship this week. Do you have the 5/8" standoffs already milled? I can send some of those, too.

Very inspiring!

Ken Gracey
    edited 2006-05-01 02:47
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Eric,

That's really cool! Don't take this like an insult, but it goes to show that it's not always the tools you own but what you can do with them. I'm assuming you milled these parts with that dremel on the wood mill. If that's the case, I'm really impressed! Now that I see how far you've come, I'll be sure to get your parts ready to ship this week. Do you have the 5/8" standoffs already milled? I can send some of those, too.

Very inspiring!

Ken Gracey
    Ken,

All the parts were cut out on the Dremel Mill. I got it done and running·Aug 2nd of last year. I built this after the start of the·"Community Supported PCB·Milling Machine"·in the "Sandbox" section. There is a picture of it on page 7. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=539099
    With a little luck, it will be stamp powered when the dust settles on that thread.

I just completed the 5/8" standoffs, cut to length and milled flat.·I am ready to mark the servo·screws and drill the standoffs. Then it is on to the ankle axles!

Sorry about the out of focus picture but I think my camera is·about shot! If I had a good idea for the Parallax / HP printing contest I would enter and try to win·a new one lol.gif

BTW, If you start a preorder list for the Penguins, put my name down.

Added a 2nd picture of the Mill,,, still see the outlines from cutting too deep.· ·oops. It did take me more than one try but I have a couple of good usable spare parts.

Post Edited (Eric R) : 5/1/2006 3:09:12 AM GMT
    1600 x 1200 - 833K
    1600 x 1200 - 821K
  • SciTech02SciTech02 Posts: 154
    edited 2006-05-01 21:32
    Wow!· Very cool.· I wonder how you would fit·the electronics on it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There is always an answer.

There is always a way.
    There is always a reason.··· -SciTech02.