Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Still the RFID issue - Help!!!!!!!!! — Parallax Forums

Still the RFID issue - Help!!!!!!!!!

dspeerdspeer Posts: 7
edited 2006-04-23 05:47 in BASIC Stamp
I installed my RFID module in 2 different ways:

- On a homework board (Rev B), batteries

- on a activity-board-connected breadboard, 9V wall power supply.

Running the program in the manual works fine for a few seconds, then the power supplied to the module starts jumping back and forth between just above 4v and just below 4v, so that Ihave to hold the tag right up to the module, and reading gets very flaky. Right after reading the tag, it's fine for a few seconds, until it starts getting bad again. The led on the module starts blinking in the same frequence, so does the "power" led on the activity board.

Looking for someone who has this working correctly on either one of the boards mentioned above, or who has the same issues.

Thanks!

Dietrich

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-04-22 18:44
    If the power is going down to 4 Volts then you must have a power supply problem.
    The RFID reader uses quite a bit of power when looking for a tag. Either your supply OR your regulator are not up to the job.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module"·available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module"·available·for only·$49.95·www.sxvm.com
    Available now! Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Mythbusters
    ·
  • dspeerdspeer Posts: 7
    edited 2006-04-22 18:54
    Thanks for you reply.

That was my initial thought, too. But then I am seeing the exact same problem on 2 different boards, using two different bs2 and 2 different power supplies.

hmmmmm
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2006-04-23 04:44
    dspeer said...
    Thanks for you reply.

That was my initial thought, too. But then I am seeing the exact same problem on 2 different boards, using two different bs2 and 2 different power supplies.

hmmmmm
    I had the same thing happen last week with my board of education (BOE) ,·a 120x32 graphic LCD and a new RFID modual that arrived about a week back. In my case the 9v battery was low causing the exact same problem. Could you post the mA rating of your wall supply? I suspect it is not big enough. The RFID module needs 90mA alone when active + the activity board and anything else connected. It all adds up quick.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-23 05:47
    This is duplicate thread and is being locked.· Please refer to the original thread.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=583159

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com