Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
low amp power supply - now prop-1 not responding. — Parallax Forums

low amp power supply - now prop-1 not responding.

RocknVRocknV Posts: 7
edited 2006-05-02 16:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I mistakenly plugged in a 10v 70 ma power supply to a prop-1.· There was a flash and now the power led doesn't work and it appears my prop-1 is dead.·shakehead.gif Is there a possibility it will reset or is there a fuse?· when I go to switch 2 position, the LED at the terminal strip lights up fine.
I haven't worried about a low amp·power supply because I figured it wouldn't do anything, so I've only been looking at the voltage and polarity config for the plug.
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-22 20:15
    Sorry, Rocky, you probably killed it. Call Tech Support (888-99-STAMP) on Monday to arrage a return. A flash is never a good thing. The V+ LED lights because it gets connected right to Vin when the power switch is in position 2, so this simply means you have power and the switch is in that position.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • RocknVRocknV Posts: 7
    edited 2006-04-23 18:55
    Hi, thanks - will do.
    best regards,
    Rob
  • RocknVRocknV Posts: 7
    edited 2006-05-02 03:18
    ok, I did some testing and figured out the onboard voltage regulator wasn't stepping down my 12 volt power supply.· I just unsoldered it and put on a new·voltage regulator·from Radio Shack ($1.59), and the Prop-1 is working as good as new!· Thanks very much for your help - in fact, I just ordered 2 more prop-1's.
    I was surprised that feeding 12v directly to the prop 1 and 1st LED that something didn't burn up.· The prop-1 became unresponsive with the 12 v power supply, but is back to normal with the new voltage regulator.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-02 03:56
    Good news; often a regulator failure will cause the raw input to move through and kill everything downstream -- I'm glad that didn't happen to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-05-02 16:19
    RocknV, good that you got it going again. I would like to mention that replacing that $1.59 part worked for you but if the bad regulator had damaged downstream parts you had just voided the warranty and the next step would be buying a new prop1. It's almost always better to let Parallax do the repair/replacement. Just a thought.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen