Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Code Strip — Parallax Forums

Code Strip

japerjaper Posts: 105
edited 2006-04-20 22:14 in BASIC Stamp
hello

this question maybe unclear as i am unclear.

Is it possible to extract code out of a stamp module,were you were not
the originator of the code?

if yes is their a way to secure the data from prying eyes?

japer

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-04-20 22:14
    In theory, you can read the 'byte-codes' of the compiled program from the eeprom, by putting the EEPROM into an EEPROM reader. This is MUCH easier if the EEPROM is the pluggable type on the OEM board, and really difficult if it's the surface mount one on the BS2.

However, having done this, all you have is generic Byte codes. So, you'll have to run the result through some 'reverse-engineering' program to make source out of it. But, even then, a "GOSUB ReadPort" in the original source would show up like "GOSUB Label00" in the re-engineered code. Any meaningful labels would be gone.

Plus, the BS2 has 26 bytes of RAM, and 2K Bytes of program space. There's very few really-really high value applications that would justify the lengths you'd have to go to reverse engineer somebody's code.

So, the practical answer is that the BS2 is already sufficiently secure to hide your trade-secrets.

The more often asked question is, "I've been using this BS2 with its program for 5 years, and I've lost the source. Can I get my source back?" -- to which the answer is again, no, depending on how much you want to pay.