Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Following Boe bot problem. — Parallax Forums

Following Boe bot problem.

SciTech02SciTech02 Posts: 154
edited 2006-04-20 22:16 in Robotics
Right now, I'm using the 2k ohm resitors (instead of the 1k ohm) on my robot and the following program dosen't work verry good.· I changed the set point to 4, but I've also noticed that the zones (Like zone 2, 3, 4, and all those) are much shorter.· Is there a way I can get it to work with 2k ohm resistors?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
There is always an answer.

There is always a way.
There is always a reason.··· -SciTech02.

Comments

• edited 2006-04-19 23:10
    There isn't really a way to adjust for those resistance values in software. If you want the IR LED/receivers to be more far sighted, use smaller resistors (like 1k or even 470).
  • edited 2006-04-19 23:37
    Afterthoughts:

The actual detection range is by no means as linear as the illustration in the book.

2 k resistors should still work pretty well with a white cardboard box or 8.5 x 11 inch paper target.

Some older kits (3 + years) have problems following with the new book and code. To determine if your IR parts are old, check the IR LEDs. If they are shrink-wrapped and seem small compared to the red LEDs in the kit, they are old. For those IR LEDs, use either 470 or 220 ohm resistors instad of 1 or 2 k.

The following code is very reliable. So long as the IR LEDs and receivers are working, the code should make it follow.

If you are trying to get one robot to follow another, make sure to mount 3x5 cards on the back and sides of the leader Boe-Bot. Also, the leader Boe-Bot should have a slower roaming program that makes it go fairly slow.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-04-20 15:53
    If you're trying to save power, you can lower your 'ping' rate. In other words, don't check the sensors so often.
  • SciTech02SciTech02 Posts: 154
    edited 2006-04-20 21:22
    I see what you are saying, but the program isn't really the problem.· I was just trying to get it to work with the 2 k ohm resistores instead of the 1 k ohm resistores, but it seems that it's just too near-sighted to work.· Oh well, I'll just use the 1 k ohm resistores.·

PS allanlane5:· That's a good idea about lowering the "Ping" rate.· I always thought it was a little to sensitive.· Thanks for your help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There is always an answer.

There is always a way.
    There is always a reason.··· -SciTech02.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-04-20 22:16
    Of course, 2 2Kohm resistors in parallel result in a 1 Kohm resistance. If that helps...