Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2P40 demo board pin outs — Parallax Forums

BS2P40 demo board pin outs

djgilmo32djgilmo32 Posts: 10
edited 2006-04-21 09:25 in BASIC Stamp
my demo board has a parallel LCD screen plug and I know it uses output pins 0-7. if i isnt being used, and no code for the parallel port is written, pins 0-7 shouldnt go high, correct?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-20 04:59
    There is a jumper on that board which should be removed if you're not connecting the LCD.· Other than that the lines are available as normal I/O pins.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-20 14:14
    I just pressed my BS2P demo board into use with the LCD.
    I am finding it simplest to first use the AUXIO for other items.
    In that way, I can leave the LCD as an optional addition to the program as it grows.

Intially, I started to just use the regular MAINIO, but immediately I got into overlapping use on Pins 0-7.
    Those are the ones to stay away from or to save until last.

Chris is quite observant -- Jumper 3 is a 4.7K pull down on P0.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/20/2006 2:22:21 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-20 14:30
    I designed BS2p40 modules into 4 products before coming to Parallax, and used them in about 8 other hobby projects.· Never did I have any problems with the MAINIO or AUXIO.· And most of the time I had used all of the I/O pins.· As a side-note, the reason I used the BS2p40 in those was ease of development.· I could've just a 24 pin module and I/O expanders, since in most cases I needed an extra group of 8 or 16 inputs and/or outputs.· Now I tend to go with the 24 pin modules and expand that way,·but the Bs2p40 makes things very easy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • djgilmo32djgilmo32 Posts: 10
    edited 2006-04-21 05:56
    It seems if I dont use the term LCDOUT or LCDMD or any other commands for the parallel LCD, I can use pins 0-7 with no problem. Apparently I had an LCDMD command in my previous program. Hope this helps anyone moving from parallel to serial.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-21 09:25
    I have the little 2X8 LCD with 4 buttons in the AppModule.
    It usually stays on the board as its 'home'
    So, I have been recently using the AUXIO as the starting point.

I really love that little LCD with buttons and it makes the development board very handy.
    Of course there are still 8 bits of IO available on the Main IO side.

I have had it running with two LCDs and independent messages too - No problem.
    It is a great board!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/21/2006 9:28:24 AM GMT