Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Indenting Woes — Parallax Forums

No Indenting Woes

Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
edited 2006-04-20 04:37 in Propeller 1
Some expressed concern over the Python-style indenting used in Spin; well, our compiler engineer has just added a nice trick that will help those worried about heavy thumbs.· By pressing [noparse][[/noparse]Ctrl]-[noparse][[/noparse]I] the editor will display the indented structure, allowing you to see what is connected to what.·· Yes, you can leave the feature on and it will update on-the-fly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41303

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Jon Williams
Applications Engineer, Parallax
440 x 382 - 53K

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-04-18 18:31
    very nice, informative without being distracting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2006-04-18 19:03
    Excellent.· I used to use a structured programming language on the Apple II (PROMAL: PROgrammers Micro Application Language) that required indentation just like Spin does to form the structures.· There were no BEGIN and END statements to mark blocks and no misplaced semi-colons to screw things up.

I welcome this formatting method in Spin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-04-18 20:08
    Sweet...
    See, I knew there was a reason or three why they havent releast the IDE yet... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-04-18 22:32
    Wow,

this exactly meets my wish list (see my 3/5/2006 post in the private Propeller Beta section). Excellent job !!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2006-04-19 00:02
    Awesome! I know I have run into some trouble with bugs because a peice of code was indented incorrectly. It should make debugging SPIN code a lot easier.
  • WurlitzerWurlitzer Posts: 237
    edited 2006-04-19 14:57
    Superb! I program 90% in VB and always indent but in long subs with multiple Do, If, Select etc. spotting the groups is not always intuitive. Buy this guy a lunch!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-04-20 04:37
    I've had to go back to Perl this past week or so to do some real work (my "day job"). I've been leaving out braces {} and semicolons left and right! (I even caught myself typing ":=" for an assignment.) Migosh I miss Spin's simple, indented formatting! And now the new visual indentation aid is the icing on the cake. Great job, guys!

-Phil