Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone Help! — Parallax Forums

Anyone Help!

CruxCrux Posts: 74
edited 2006-05-03 00:06 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to know if theres any possiblity that we could make a MP3 project out of a BS2-IC?please give me some guides and suggestions

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-18 03:48
    I rather doubt it; you have to read the MP3 file from some media source (e.g., SD card) and then stream the data to an MP3 player chip. This not within the speed capability of the BASIC Stamp, though our Propeller chip makes this a real possibility (and something I'm getting ready to work on).

If you simply need to play MP3s in a device that is under BASIC Stamp control, have a look at the Rogue Robotics uMP3; it works quite nicely.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • CruxCrux Posts: 74
    edited 2006-04-19 03:41
    Do you know more resources I could refer to about this project?About the propeller when will be the·releasing date?
    edited 2006-04-19 05:38
    We have not announced a release date for the Propeller (coming soon, though). As far as home-brew MP3 players, a Google search will yield a lot of good information.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Gwyan RhabytGwyan Rhabyt Posts: 4
    edited 2006-05-02 23:39
    Hey Jon,

I'm also interested in whether the Propeller could cope with this.
    Could a few of the cogs together act as a MP3 decoder (like the VS1001 or VS1002) while another acts as a DAC? A third could direct data from an MMC/SD/CF card. Add a forth for user interface if you want. Then all you would need is an amp.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the Propeller is capable of.
    Can you, who've played with it more, give those of us who haven't got one yet, a reality check?

Thanks,

Gwyan

California State University East Bay
    edited 2006-05-03 00:06
    I don't think so, not version 1, anyway (I had a discussion with Chip about this). Still, the Propeller becaomes a very nice platform to connect to media devices (Compact Flash, SD, etc.), process serial commands (in a separate cog), and move data to a device like the VS1001/02.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams