Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp OEM Modules vs Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp OEM Modules vs Basic Stamp

don_sdon_s Posts: 35
edited 2006-04-19 03:38 in BASIC Stamp
Ok, dont laugh at me to much but here goes.
I have been working with a BOE for a couple of years. I have bought acouple of OEM Modules to work with. I know that I am slow, but I was comparing them the other day and noticed that the chip is different. Why is that? Where can I go to see what the difference are. Can I exchange them and get the same results?

What I am trying to do is run multiple stamps (two right now) but all I have is the modules with take up to much room. Thats when I found out the different between the two chips that I have. Do they program the same? Do I need the OEM module to program the chips?

Seems every time I think that I have learned something, I get confused.

Thanks
Don "Ho"

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-04-17 21:11
    How are they different? If you look at the chips, they probably have the same model numbers, but might be in different packaging, so the chips would look different, but function the same.
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2006-04-17 21:53
    The OEM module is a DIP. The BS2 is the smt version. They should be the same chip...Just different 'packages'.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-17 22:01
    Don,

·· Reading your message a second time made me think that perhaps you think you can use the large DIP IC on the OEM board as a BASIC Stamp, when in fact, you cannot.· That is only the interpreter, not the BASIC Stamp.· It takes all of the components on that OEM Module (Except the DB9) to make it a BASIC Stamp 2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • don_sdon_s Posts: 35
    edited 2006-04-17 23:23
    Are you saying that the stamp on the BOE-Bot has all the componets on the OEM Module? Then I have to ask, if I was to get the just the Stamp, what process would I use to program the Stamp?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-17 23:28
    Don,

·· Yes, the BASIC Stamp 2 Module on the BOE-Bot is all the components on the OEM Module except the DB9 and two capacitors, which are located on the BOE.· Functionally they are the same.· Each contains an interpreter, 24LC16B EEPROM, voltage regulator (The OEM is beefier), RS-232 translation circuitry, etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • don_sdon_s Posts: 35
    edited 2006-04-19 03:38
    Thanks. After reading your reply, I went and re-read the manual that came with my first Boe-Bot. I understand now. Thanks for showing an old man the way.

Don "Ho"