Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping))) hardware question — Parallax Forums

Ping))) hardware question

TaishoTaisho Posts: 34
edited 2006-04-20 05:41 in BASIC Stamp
Does the outer surface of the 'eye sockets' on the ping))) module have to be exposed?· I want to build a casing around my 'bot and put a shell around the ping module to give it a head look with the tubes being the 'eyes'.· Does the sensor depend on the aluminum(?) tubes or do they matter?· If something is touching the outside of them will it interfere with the sensors?· I will NOT be putting anything over the front of it.· I understand the hardware a little more than that· lol.gif .·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-17 14:21
    Hello,

·· I have contacted one of our engineers to get you an answer on this very soon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/17/2006 5:06:05 PM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-17 15:55
    I think the aluminum section simply provides a housing for the actual sensor. I've seen similar devices mounted through sheet metal using o-ring gaskets to hold the sensors, and this apparently had no ill affect on performance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • TaishoTaisho Posts: 34
    edited 2006-04-17 20:12
    Thank you very much.· Sorry it took a while to respond.· I got caught up in stuff at work.· I just did not want to do anything that would adversely effect the performance.
  • TaishoTaisho Posts: 34
    edited 2006-04-20 05:41
    One more question. Is there any problem with the card portion of the Ping))) device being completely enclosed? I don't want to build a 'body' around it and then overheat it and burn it out. I doubt the diodes and ICs generate that much heat but I'm no electronics genius so I want your opinions. I know this will depend on the environment. It will be indoors with normal office/household temperatures on the body of the 'bot.

I am asking all these questions because I want to be nice to my hardware. My wife was understanding the first time buying it..... tongue.gif