Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and EMIC Memory Longevity — Parallax Forums

BS2 and EMIC Memory Longevity

KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
edited 2006-04-17 15:52 in BASIC Stamp
I'm building a project with a BS2 and EMIC text-to-speech chip I purchased from Parallax.

The project needs to last 20-30 years. I was wondering if I have to worry about the lifetime of the memory in either or both chips?

Power will always be applied to the chips and the BS2 will be hibernated most of the time- waking and running the program a couple of times per week.

Is time/number of accesses a concern?

Thanks.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-17 05:00
    If you don't frequenty reprogram the BS2, the EEPROM should last that long.
    It has a limited number of erase and write cycles, but nearly infinite number of reads.

I don't know about the EMIC text-to-speech chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2006-04-17 14:51
    To quote the data sheet from Winbond, the makers of the WTS701 chip which is the Text-To-Speech
    portion of the EMIC board:

The 100-year retention and 100K record cycle projections are based upon accelerated reliability
    tests, ...  This product incorporates SuperFlash(r).

I'd say the chip will be holding its memory in 20-30 years. On the other hand, what company is going
    to be around in 20-30 years to back up the guarantee should the EMIC board stop functioning?
    Something to think about! smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock = KD4WLZ = rusty@fe2o3.lonestar.org
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-17 15:52
    I have to wonder about 'accellerated reliablity test', but that is the 'industry standard'. It seems a bit of an oxymoron; a red herring; or maybe a bit of voodoo, too.

Nonetheless, if anything in the semiconductor business will last 20-30 years, it seems these components will do so. From what I can see though, you can only expect about 20 - 40,000 operational hours from a personal computer before something seriously goes wrong.

You might worry more about the capacitors. Those electrolytic ones don't seem to want to stick around.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan