Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp reset on PC Restart? — Parallax Forums

Stamp reset on PC Restart?

KC8DKTKC8DKT Posts: 76
edited 2006-04-14 20:13 in BASIC Stamp
·· Is there any way to keep the stamp from restarting when the PC turns on or powers up?· The DB9 and USB BOE do this.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-14 18:34
    That's because of electrical activity on the DTR line when your PC boots; you would have to sever this connection (and be able to put it back for programming).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • KC8DKTKC8DKT Posts: 76
    edited 2006-04-14 19:12
    Thx for the fast come back!

Any links / info on how I would auto mate that?
    Not reset with PC but let me upload code with out a manual switch?
    Have no clue where to even start on this one...

What info I did find said only Tx/Rx is a MUST for uploading a program to the stamp. They said the Stamp ID button and the scan port for stamp in PBasic would not work "have to input $Stamp BS2Px my self" but uploading code would. I could live with that if they are right. Anything else NOT work if they are right about this?
    edited 2006-04-14 19:27
    The ATN line is used to reset the BASIC Stamp so that the IDE can reprogram it.· For serial you only need SOUT and SIN, for programming you also need the ATN line.

If you want to leave the PC connect and not have the BASIC Stamp reset when the PC boots, you need to break the connection to the ATN pin; of course, you have to restore the connection for reprogramming.· The attached diagram shows the connection and where you could insert a switch or jumper.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    772 x 583 - 59K
  • KC8DKTKC8DKT Posts: 76
    edited 2006-04-14 20:02
    So the ATN line is LOW when the stamp is running its program?

Its the ATN "Low to High to Low" that tells the stamp to restart?

When I upload a program the ATN is held HIGH just before the upload starts and then drops back to LOW when the upload is done and the stamp resets?

I know as the program is being uploaded all pins on the stamp 0-15 go to INPUTs. I2C IO-Expanders do not have this problem and will hold there latch High/Low even when uploading to the stamp. This could be a way to setup some kind of automated setup if I got the above info right.
    edited 2006-04-14 20:13
    The transition is what counts -- the series cap between DTR and ATN blocks any DC level.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams