Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
cannot detect my BS2 — Parallax Forums

cannot detect my BS2

daveleb55daveleb55 Posts: 2
edited 2006-05-09 15:52 in BASIC Stamp
I installed a known good basic stamp on a Parallax carrier board. I cannot detect it, but the 'Identification' window in the Run menu shows `Device Type' blank, 'version' is blank, Loopback and Echo are both yes. IF I disconnect the USB to serial adapter, it no longer detects COM4, so I know that's the port it's on. I've reseated the chip, rechecked the wiring, everything seems ok. The USB to Serial adapter is good because I got it to work on another computer. I can detect my boebot on this computer with the same setup and the same BS2.

Is there something about the carrier board that I need to do to make it work? I'm running it off a 4 cell NimH battery (freshly charged), the boebot runs off 4 AA cells, also Nimh, so it's not a voltage issue. I'm stumped, any suggestions?

Dave
·

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-13 04:28
    Dave -

You don't mention what kind of computer you are using, or what kind of USB to serial adapter you're using. If the USB to serial adapter requires drivers, have you installed them on the second computer?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • daveleb55daveleb55 Posts: 2
    edited 2006-04-13 04:42
    yes, it's a toshiba laptop running XP, I did install the drivers on both. My friends laptop, also a toshiba, exhibits the same symptoms. I'm thinking I may have either wired something wrong, or left out something...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-13 05:45
    Dave,

· Laptops have a lot of issues with Serial Ports and sometimes USB Adapters.· Try going into your Control Panel, System Properties, Device Manager, Ports, USB Serial Port (COMx) and double-click this.· Go to the Port Settings tab and click advanced.· Reduce the latency timer from 16 down to 1.· Click okay on both windows and try again.· Since you didn't mention the previous assumes you are using our USB to Serial Adapter.· If you have a different one and you have an entry for FIFO buffers, uncheck that.· Let us know.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-04-13 16:36
    You have a low voltage problem. NiMh batteries are 1.2V per cell - and 4 provides 4.8V. The BS2 requires at 5V on Vdd or 6V on Vin to function properly.
  • StreichreStreichre Posts: 4
    edited 2006-05-09 15:52
    I have a Belkin USB to Serial adaptor. I tried it with both my Sony and Toshiba laptops. The Sony also has a serial port, but I have to go into the device manager and toggle the "Use Automatic Settings" box on the resources tab to get it to work. By toggle, I mean that if it is checked, I uncheck it; if it is unchecked, I check it. I only have to do this once each time I turn on the laptop.

Now back to the USB... I could not get it to identify the stamp with either laptop. I can open a debug window, Procomm or Hyperterm and reset the stamp and it communicates just fine. I tried adjusting device manager settings and checked every message I could find in this forum. I believe that it has something to do with the programming mode, the wiring to the stamp, or the RS232 voltage levels from the adaptor. I'm new to the stamp world, but I have used the Belkin to communicate with my Atmel and Pic boards with no problem. If someone can point me to documentation that describes the serial programming method in detail (voltages, pinout, handshaking, timing, etc.) I would be extremely grateful.

Best Regards,

Charlie