Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie needs some direction — Parallax Forums

Newbie needs some direction

overlook77overlook77 Posts: 10
edited 2006-04-13 13:05 in BASIC Stamp
I want to create a small handheld device with several buttons.· Pressing a button would internally record the date and time the button was pressed.· Then this data could be uploaded to a PC.· Can anyone direct me to a resource, book,·or any other information, like a type of board, etc. that could assist me in building this functionality?· I have software programming experience but have never messed with microcontrollers before.

Comments

• overlook77overlook77 Posts: 10
    edited 2006-04-12 21:48
    basically, what i am asking is "can BASIC Stamp store data locally that can be uploaded to a PC"? I just want to know if this is technically possible.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-04-12 21:57
    yes it is, youd likely want to couple the stamp with a timekeeping chip to provide the timestamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-12 22:17
    There are all sorts of data-logging examples for the BASIC Stamp out there.· See the WRITE command though for information on writing data into the BASIC Stamp EEPROM at run-time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-04-13 02:50
    The DS1302 and DS1307 are good real-time clock chips. There are example programs for communicating with the DS1307 in the StampWorks manual. There's also some DS1302 code in the Binary Digital Clock project thread.

If you're an experienced programmer you should be able to pick up the programming aspect in no time (I'm in the same boat). The tricky part for me is figuring out how to make the circuit I want, but this forum and the Parallax site are great resources. If you can spring for it, I highly recommend the StampWorks kit. It has gotten me off the ground pretty quickly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
  • overlook77overlook77 Posts: 10
    edited 2006-04-13 13:05
    Great thanks. I wanted to be sure this project was do-able before investing time and money learing this technology.