Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Servo Controller Question — Parallax Forums

Parallax Servo Controller Question

JimTheProgrammerJimTheProgrammer Posts: 44
edited 2006-04-13 17:40 in Robotics
Does anyone know if you can use a single SEROUT command to send signals to 2 or more servo at one time. Such as
making the wheels turn for mobility while sending a reverse pulse width signal to each to compensate for how the servo is mounted
as you typical mount the servos on the BOE-BOT?

Jim

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-12 18:06
    Jim -

Presuming you're driving these servos directly from the Stamp, you want to be using Pulsout, not Serout. Second, if you're not using a separate servo controller board, each servo must be driven independently for individual control.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-12 18:11
    Jim,

·· With the PSC you will send it serial commands for each channel.· Only one is needed until you need to change something, however each channel will have to have its own serial command sent for that channel.· There is no, "All Channels Forward" type of command.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JimTheProgrammerJimTheProgrammer Posts: 44
    edited 2006-04-12 23:12
    Chris,

Thank you...thats the answer I was looking for...darn it! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jim
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-04-13 06:49
    The PSC does have a built in ramping function for each servo that works independent of what each of the other servos are doing. You can set servo1 to go to point A and servo2 to go to point A and they will begin moving nearly instantly (it will appear simultaneous). servo1 doesn't have to complete its movement before servo2 can start, so in a sense you can get them to all run at the same time. Just write your own function for "All Channels Forward".

What is also nice is that, if you tell a servo to go to point A, but half way through its movement you decide you want to go back to A, at a new speed... the servo controller will begin ramping the servo towards the new position at your new speed without "jumping" to point A first to complete its first movement or have a starting point for the second movement.
  • JimTheProgrammerJimTheProgrammer Posts: 44
    edited 2006-04-13 17:40
    bulkhead,

Very cool! I am looking forward to my extra shipment of servo's.....heheheh...

Jim