Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Serial Programming Adapter - Testing - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Serial Programming Adapter - Testing

2»

Comments

• cparkercparker Posts: 14
    edited 2008-08-05 06:30
    Wow, this is an old thread. Not sure if anyone is listening, but here goes.

I've built the '3 transistor' circuit mentioned many times in this thread. It works fine for programming, but not for serial communication. The chip resets whenever I open any terminal program. I've tried both the newer PST and the older propterm, and hyperterm. I don't know if this is an artifact of my PC (or USB / serial adapter).

TV out works fine for debug of course, but it sure would be handy to be able to debug right on the PC.

There is mention of moving the 10k resistor from the collector of the PNP to ground. I haven't tried that yet. Has anyone had luck with that or any other modification?

Or is there a work around involving a switch? I.e., 1. program chip, 2. switch to protect against reset, 3. do serial IO, ....

Thanks.

CP
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-08-05 07:00
    I understand Hyperterinal sets DTR and thus resets your prop board (never verifiedbut believe it to be so).

The latest PST (Parallax or Propeller Serial Terminal) program does not pulse the DTR unless you click on the box so it will not reset your prop unless you specifically tell it to do so - and it works with the PropTool open, so it is the preferred method.

So, without actually answerring your question about the transistor interface, I think your problem may be more likened to the DTR problem. So you should try this configuration first, as this seems to be what most of us do.

My interface uses a FTD2232 dual interface and I only use·a P2N2222 for the DTR reset circuit.