Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Control Question — Parallax Forums

Wireless Control Question

kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
edited 2006-04-10 19:47 in BASIC Stamp
· I have seen some items like Bluetooth, but I am not sure just what is needed. What I want to be able to do is communicate with my robot and issue commands to the basic stamp VIA my laptop. I cannot believe that there is not some way to do this. My problem is I do not know what componets I would need to accomplish this. CAN ANYONE HELP ME!

Comments

• kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2006-04-10 14:18
    More clearly I want to have a robot like the Mars Rover that I can put out in my yard and control wireless VIA my Laptop. I hope this helps explain my question. I also want to get Video feed back.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2006-04-10 14:37
    Ken,

Funny you should say Mars Rover, I'm working on a robot that does just what you describe. It also is going to have a navigation system based on ultrasonic beacons.

Anyway, the EB500 is just what you want, except it might not be fast enough for video, 115.2 k is it's max speed. I am using an EB500 on both the Hydrogen powered robot and the new explorer 'bot. You can see some info about the bluetooth link on the Hydrogen robot here:

http://madlabs.info/h2fcrp/h2fcrp_electronics.shtml

All you need is an EB500 and either a laptop equiped with bluetooth or a USB bluetooth dongle. I use the Linksys USBBT100 dongle with great results.

For video, which I have been thinking about too, what about a wireless webcam?

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
    edited 2006-04-10 14:42
    Jonathan,

Thanks for all the information. I think you're idea of a wireless camera would be most cost effective. I will look into the EB500, I have a Linksys router and was hoping I could some how connect into that.
    edited 2006-04-10 14:47
    Ken,

The EB500 should hook right up with the router, assuming it's a bluetooth one, not WiFi. You'll like the EB500, it works well and has a good range. If you run into any difficulties, let me know, I've worked with it a lot.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-04-10 14:52
    Jonathan,

My router maybe WiFi it is 802.11b and my Laptop is the same. Do I need a different router or can I add something to the one I have?

Ken
    edited 2006-04-10 15:00
    Ken,

I had a feeling when you said router that it was WiFi. 802.11b is WiFi for sure. So no, the EB500 will not work with it. You can use an Bluetooth compatible product. As I mentioned above, I use the Linksys USBBT100 dongle. Costs about US$25 and works just fine.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-04-10 15:26
    Sounds Great I will look into it. THANKS
  • Robert25Robert25 Posts: 53
    edited 2006-04-10 15:32
    I was thinking about the exact same issue; linking my bot to my home wifi network (also have the Linksys router).· However, my application is more in line with doing some of the higher power program functions with the home computer and have the bot's stamp do local control.· I am also new to this and would appreciate someone giving a suggestion to the "wifi" option.
    edited 2006-04-10 15:42
    If I understand this all.... I need the EB500 and EB600 from Parallax to make the communication work. Is that correct?
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2006-04-10 16:49
    Just remember...Bluetooth is NOT The only wireless protocol. There are much cheaper wireless modules on the market that may fit your project better.

If you are creating a wireless network, and controlling multiple rovers, then bluetooth would work best...but if it is just 1 PC and 1 rover, you have several cheaper alternatives...

1 alternative is the Parallax tranciever made with Lynx Technologies TX and RX modules.

Another option you have is this chip:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=691

There are probably 50 different wireless modules that you can use that·are cheaper than bluetooth, and probably more beneficial for your specific project.

A lot of people incorporate bluetooth into their projects, and it is much like driving a semi-truck to drop the kids off at soccer.

...I do appreciate bluetooth, but in some instances it makes much more sense to use other trancievers.

Post Edited (Steel) : 4/10/2006 4:53:28 PM GMT
    edited 2006-04-10 19:47
    Ken,

All you should need is an EB500 for the robot and a dongle or built in bluetooth laptop. The EB600 is used to connect an EB500 to a PC. You (as I understand your project) don't need this.

One thing I really like about the EB500 is that it takes care of all data/error checking. I put in data on one side and it comes out the other. Simple RF systems do not have this, although some do. There are many ways to skin the cat. I just happened to get started with the EB500 and have come to like the ease of use.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔