Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stamp data to stampplot to email — Parallax Forums

stamp data to stampplot to email

lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
edited 2006-04-11 13:42 in BASIC Stamp
I am working on a project to capture stamp data, and create and send an email message from the data. I
capture the data in a txt file using stamp plot lite. Where I run into a stone wall is finding software
that will allow me (under program control) to include the txt message as a file attachment and generate an email message
at a fixed time each day.· I tried searching (google) and came up with a multitude of email software
packages which all seem to create and·generate spam. I searched this forum but couldnt locate anything.

Can anyone suggest a link, book, or any information that will get me on the path to solving this?

Thanks for your help
Larry

Comments

• brsbrs Posts: 33
    edited 2006-04-10 14:08
    If you're familiar with scripting languages, Perl and Python would be perfect for what you are looking for. For example, do a google search for the following perl modules: NET::SMTP or MAIL::SENDER. Python has equivalent add on modules. Both languages and add on modules are free and work on both Linux and Windows. You could then set up a cron job (Linux) or batch file (Windows) to send an email at a specified time each day.
  • lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
    edited 2006-04-10 20:52
    Thanks for the response. I am not familar with scripts but do have some minor programming experience. Perl looks like the best solution.··I purchased the Perl for Dummies and Learning Perl books.· Can you suggest any others that may helpful for a novice?·

I can get a stamp to make phone calls and communicate sensor conditions without much difficulty, but getting a stamp to send e-mail opens new vistas for those without advanced programming skills. I look at the process as a learning experience. Thanks again for your help

Larry
  • brsbrs Posts: 33
    edited 2006-04-11 13:42
    Larry,

The learning perl book is wonderful. After a few chapters of that try the perl cookbook. Recipe 18.9 - Sending Attachments in Mail should be just what you're looking for. A lot of perl examples can also be found simply through google searches.

Enjoy,
    Bryce