Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with IR signals — Parallax Forums

Help with IR signals

leshea2leshea2 Posts: 83
edited 2006-04-10 17:18 in BASIC Stamp
Can anyone tell me what command reference I would use to have the BS2sx send a specific signal to an IR LED for emission to an IR detector ?

Thanks !·

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-04-08 21:05
    Can you define "specific signal"?· What's the IR Detector?
  • leshea2leshea2 Posts: 83
    edited 2006-04-09 05:00
    IR = Infrared, and when I say (specific signal), I mean any kind, like telling a tv to shut off. I just need to know the correct command reference. Could I use the SEROUT command ?

Thanks !
    edited 2006-04-09 13:36
    · Yeah -- d'uh, like I didn't know what "IR" meant.

· Anyway -- if you want to use the STAMP to emulate/produce the signals needed for a remote control you'll first need to know what that pulse train (used/needed) is.
    · SEROUT wouldn't be the way to go, remote controls (TV, VCR, &c.) don't use an 8-N-1 sort of protocol/structure.· Obviously, it's serial, just not that way.· A series of PULSOUT would be most appropriate.
    · Instead of having the STAMP try and do all that, I would buy another remote control and interface its keypad to the STAMP output lines.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 4/9/2006 1:40:08 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-04-09 21:11
    The 'typical' way of doing this is having the BS2 connected to an IR-LED (with associated current limiting resistor, 470 ohms is nice). Then you want to send '38 Khz' pulses (where you send a FREQOUT IR_Pin, 38500) to the IR-LED.

The TV has an "IR-Decoder", which will recieve these signals, and generate a 'low' pulse while it is recieving the blinking IR.

Now, each vendor has their own pattern of what a series of 'pulses' means. The Sony IR protocol is pretty simple. The IR-Buddy generates (and understands) the Phillips RC-5 pattern. Search Google for Phillips RC-5 for more detail.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2006-04-10 16:50
    www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/sic/IRRemoteforBoebot.pdf

The above document is great if you want to use IR detectors for reading IR remote controls and if you want to dissect the codes for SENDING IR commands with an IR LED. This is for the Sony protocols but gives a good idea of how to set up the code.

I've used this kind of setup for my Stamp-based 'bots -- you can change the "channel" to change behaviors, you can have one 'bot send remote commands to another, etc. We read about one fellow who programs his bots to turn off TVs wherever they go...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST
    edited 2006-04-10 17:18
    I guess the BoeBot I-R AppMod is still available -- http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28139· I found a link to it via the BoeBot page (not the AppMod page).· ??

The I-R Buddy is still available -- http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28016

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 4/10/2006 5:22:57 PM GMT