Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PIR Motion detection — Parallax Forums

PIR Motion detection

CCCCCCCC Posts: 3
edited 2006-04-05 18:03 in BASIC Stamp
Hello All,
This is my first post to the forum and I am a rank beginner. I have a question that those with·more knowledge probabbly think is pretty simple, but here goes!

I want to place PIR's some distance from my BS2 and was not sure if i needed to boost the output of the signal in some way from the PIR. I am talking a good 40' and planed to use "sprinkler wire" to make the connections.

In some cases I would be paralleling up to 4 PIR's to sense motion in 360 degrees.
ANY advice for this beginner would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

Craig

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-04-05 16:18
    What kind of PIR are you using?
    There are some from HVWTech in Canada that just indicate a 5V level on its output when it "sees" movement.
    In this case, so long as you have enough voltage at the end of the wire for the stamp to determine a logic threshold, then you're fine!
    I think the stamps' logic threshold is 1.5volts...but might be 2.5volts.

Other things to be warely of is noise getting on those lines.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-05 16:24
    Craig,

·· Without using shielded wire you will be highly prone to EMI noise problems.· On top of that the TTL levels on the output aren't really made to traverse that length of wire.· These are things you will have to factor in to this design.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-04-05 17:03
    Craig,
    Google "20mA current loop". This is a type of signaling that works better for long distances. A simplified version is to just put a 270 ohm resistor at the INPUT to ground. As long as the output can supply 20mA, it should work (but I don't think it is truely a 20mA current loop because the current is not regulated). You see even though voltages levels change with resistance, the current does not. So if a transmitter has a regulated 20mA output, then input will see 20mA no matter what the resistance of the wire is.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module"·available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module"·available from Parallax for only·$49.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015
    Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Available now! Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Mythbusters
    ·
  • CCCCCCCC Posts: 3
    edited 2006-04-05 17:50
    Thanks everyone for the prompt reply!!!

To answer a few of the questions:

1.Steve, I am using Parallax PIR's for this project. They look very simmilar to the ones from· HVWTech .

2. Chris,You are recomending that·I use Sheilded Cable. Any recomendations??

3. Bean, sometimes I have a brain f**t. do you mean for me to connect a 270ohm resistor between where the out on the PIR connects to the BS2 (INPUT) and ground?

Will this help "get the signal through"?

Thanks everyone again!!

Craig
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-05 18:01
    Craig,

·· I am merely providing you with some possible problems you may encounter and how you might overcome them.· That is quite a distance and quite often with long runs of wire we see people having all kinds of inconsistent results and even damage usually associated with EMI/RFI noise.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • CCCCCCCC Posts: 3
    edited 2006-04-05 18:03
    Thanks Chris!!

Craig