Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Workable WiFi solution for a robot — Parallax Forums

Workable WiFi solution for a robot

inakiinaki Posts: 262
edited 2006-05-03 07:37 in Robotics
I am looking for·a WiFi solution in SDIO or custom format. There are plenty of solutions for Embedded OSs but I need one that I can control myself.. Anyone knows about any solution that can be controlled without a proprietary driver ?·Until now I have been using a·PCMCIA card from Prymax that is well documented·but it takes too much power. I need something·not too power hungry.
BTW, I do need the bandwidth of WiFi. Bluetooth solutions are not fast enough for my application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
    edited 2006-04-15 12:22
    Does it have to use the WiFi protocol? Cascaded Linx chips should get you where you want to go, otherwise. Interface a BS2 to your 'puter, then out to the Linx Tx cascade (2 chips give 64 commands, 3 = 512). At the remote side, the incoming Rx decoder cascade latches a value to the Rx BS2 and away you go.

Just a thought.

- K

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard
  • MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
    edited 2006-04-21 13:45
    And this is why you should THINK before replying. What I should have suggested was time domain multiplexed Linx signals, which would have the added advantage of being pratical and applicable. Multiple simultaneous transmissions would just muddy the waters and ensure no signal is received.
    Doh!

- K

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard
  • gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
    edited 2006-05-01 22:04
    Have you considered·Zigbee?

http://www.maxstream.net/·and·· http://www.ember.com/downloads/pdfs/article-iee-11-04.pdf· might give you an idea or two. Multiple units are no problem, and unless you need exceptional range, might fit the bill.

Jim

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    In the end, it seems that it's all about getting the LEDs to blink....
  • TiboTibo Posts: 81
    edited 2006-05-03 07:37
    Well, let me tell you my story, I know it's not a perfect answer but it may still help you :
    I wanted to add WIFI remoted capabilities to my BOE BOT but at the time (4 years ago) it was something I couldnt afford.
    Fortunately, somebody offered me a WIFI enable IPAQ (h4155).
    So I bought the iPAQ's serial cable, programed a robot controlling software for the PC th robot will be talking with, programed a TCP/UDP to SERIAL proxy software (in C#, but can be written using other langage) and installed it on my IPAQ under WINDOWS MOBILE 2003, programed a BASIC STAMP 2e software to act as a sensors and actuators controller.
    The IPAQ's serial cable was directly set to the BOE BOT motherboard, while the PDA was lying under, tied on the Bot's aluminium frame with rubber bands,....Et voil