Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and Aerocomm 900mhz device. — Parallax Forums

BS2 and Aerocomm 900mhz device.

Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
edited 2006-04-08 07:42 in BASIC Stamp
When I connect my tranceiver to the bs2, it won't transmit. It will only transmit if I hook the power lines of the AEROCOMM device to the same power supply that my other areocomm device is hooked to.

I have tested to see if a 3rd party power supply, not using the bs2's supply, or the other aerocomms supply to see if the two areocomm devices need their power wired together. Makes no sence so a third party supply should work, but after testing with a 3rd party power supply, it doesn't.

Why would a wireless 900 mhz device need to be using the same ground and power as its other tranceiver. Again it shouldn't but it does.

If this makes no sense and you all think I am doing something wrong I can upload a schematic of my wiring, and the bs2 program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Meh. Nothing here, move along.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-03 10:42
    BPM -

Each·Stamp and its respective transceiver need to share a common ground, do they?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 4/3/2006 10:48:51 AM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-04-03 12:18
    They MUST share a common ground. They don't HAVE to share a common Power wire.
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2006-04-03 20:51
    Why would a wireless device, a 900 mhz tranceiver, need to share a common ground with its pair?

I understand that one SHOULD connect the power and ground wires to the bs2's supply. I tried that, and cannot transmit.

BUT WHAT IM TELLING YOU BOTH IS THAT THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET THE AEROCOMMS to communicate is if I use a totally seperate power supply (on the + side) The common side of the areocomm and bs2 is tied together, and always was.

I understand that in any situation that the aerocomm device must have its ground tied to the same as the bs2..

But what my question is, why does my aerocomm device not work when it uses the same power supply (+ side) as the bs2?

Could it be noise? How would I go about stopping the noise, or checking for it.? I am using the board of education.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-03 21:48
    BPM -

It may be noise, or it may simply be a matter of drawing too much current, but we don't have enough information so far to make that assessment. As much as you may think you've told us, from a debugging point of view, you've really told us very little.

How much current does the transceiver draw when it's on and at idle?

How much current does the transceiver draw when it's on and transmitting?

What is the voltage requirement of the transceiver?

What kind of power supplies are you using for the Stamp, and for the transceivers, and what is the ampacity of each?

What is the distance from the Stamp module to the transceiver?

What is the distance from transceiver to transceiver?

What is the maximum suggested line-of-sight distance these units will transmit?

How much RF power do they radiate during transmission?

Which Aerocomm device are you using?

That's a start, anyway.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2006-04-04 01:56
    I think I know what is happening. my wireless devices are not talking when they are not on the same power supply.

I have tried 3 different high quality power supplys.

I have hooked up 2 max232's to eachother, and they communicate perfectly fine (i am using two com cables wired to the two com ports of my ps, and then using a terminal program (two open, on each port) and can send data to and from both com ports.

When I connect the max232's to eachother rts<-> cts and txd<->rxd the comms are fine.
    IF I power the second max232 via a totaly seperate power supply, totally isolating the com1 max232 from com2 max232. they still communicate.

when I hook my AEROCOMM's to the max232 devices, AND power it all from the same circuit, i can send and receive data. Thru the areocomms (or so i think?)

If I power both 232's from the same supply, and power the aerocomm device with a seperate supply, only hooking up rts<-> cts and txd<->rxd the devices won't send or receive data.

I suppose I need to upload a schemaitc now, because I should be able to have the areocomms talk via seperate supplys. (much like the max232 devices can. Mabee it might help someone to see somewhere I am going wrong. I'll get working on that. May take me a day or two.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Robert@HCCRobert@HCC Posts: 80
    edited 2006-04-08 07:42
    keep posting whatever you find out, please [noparse]:D[/noparse]

I have a pair of Aerocomm 4790 modules that I just cant seem to get talking between my stamp and comp - not defeated yet, but the more info the merrier!

Alohas,
    Robert