Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
another can't find stamp — Parallax Forums

another can't find stamp

RandyRandy Posts: 79
edited 2006-04-04 01:17 in BASIC Stamp
I've seen and read bunches of articles about 'stamp not found' and it is always a simple connection problem.·Now I have one. I have a project that has been running for months, I sometimes make changes and have never had a problem. I changed from a BS2 to a BS2PE and·the stamp·can't be found. Loopback and echo both say yes but device and version stay blank. Thought I had a bad stamp so I tried two others. It can't find or identify them. I put two differant BS2 stamps on the board (it is a 3M breadboard)·and all is well. I thought maybe some minor difference in the pins was cause for a bad connection but volt readings on all the pins are the same for·either version·of the stamps. Is it possible I·was shipped·three bad BS2PEs or they were toasted in shipment? What gives? Am I missing the obvious? Yes the program should be friendly to the BS2PE but it never gets that far.

Randy
ps
where is the emoticon with the head scratching?

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-03 00:40
    Possible? Sure, anything is possible. Likely? No, we test every Stamp before it is shipped. I will bet you a dollar that the problem is on your "all is well" breadboard. You can prove they are good by putting them into a BOE or another Parallax-built programming board (if you don't have one, maybe a friend does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-04-03 00:43
    Breadboards don't last forever. Try pulling gently on each wire in your breadboard - I bet you'll find at least one wire that's loose (probably Vdd, Vin or Vss)
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-03 00:49
    Power is the likely cause -- since you're getting echo, the data sent out of the PC is going into and coming back out of the Stamps level-shifter; power does not need to be present to get echo.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-03 00:50
    If you recently purchased a BS2pe then you will need the latest version of the Stamp Editor from our website.· If you have one older than 2.2.5 then it may not work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • RandyRandy Posts: 79
    edited 2006-04-04 00:57
    Chris
    Thanks a bunch. I was runing ver 2.1. I downloaded 2.2.5 and everything is fine. I do have a couple of other questions but don't know if I should post them here or on a differant forum. For all of the articles I have seen on the DS1302 I've seen none that are stand alone, setable with buttons rather than a keyboard, and have all of the time and date info. I wrote a program that will do all of this including recognizing the number of days in a month, leap year etc but it is a big program. This project actually has two stamps, master and slave, and an eleven channel analog-digital converter for measuring and storing high and low temperatures. The programs for both stamps are too big to allow using all of the functions. If I wanted to post it where someone might be fullish enough to read it and suggest how to condense it, where would I do that. I am guessing not here.

Thanks again for the ver2.2.5 tip.
    Randy
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-04 01:17
    Randy,

·· Start a new thread for that topic and use an appropriate subject line.· The BASIC Stamp Forum is appropriate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com