PMW — Parallax Forums

PMW

A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
edited 2006-04-02 06:21 in Robotics
What is the PWM phrase for .3 amps??

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-01 17:07
    PWM = Pulse Width Modulation (of a signal).· .3 amps refers to current draw.· The two are not·intrinsically related, per se.· That is, without all the details of the system there can be no relation of one to the other.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-02 00:40
    Then how can the stamp send .3 amps?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-02 01:17
    A. C. fishing -

If you tell us exactly what you're trying to accomplish, perhaps we can then tell you how to do it. One doesn't generally "send" amps anywhere.

If you're trying to drive a device which requires .3 amps, you will need to use a transistor to drive the device, and the Stamp will in turn control the transistor.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-02 01:27
    OK. Sorry I really am bad at electric vocab. and meanings, and hadware in general. I'm much better at software. Anyway I found something which seems to bbe a rather large device that the paper wuth it calls a "Vibration Switch". I can't find them on the web and never saw one. It is old because none of the parts of the stuff in my Attic have been used for about 25 years(Check my post in Stamp Audio System for another attic part.). (The date says 1987) There are 3 wires: a black, a red, and a green. The paper says that it takes just .3 amps to work. It was made for alarms. I would just like a STAMP to power it
    thanks
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,548
    edited 2006-04-02 03:24
    A.C. fishing,

The .3amps is a maximum rating that your device requires. There "should" be a voltage rating on there as well.
    Assuming that you supply the correct voltage, the current capabilities of your power supply battery , wall-wart, etc.
    need to be AT LEAST 300mA (.3Amps) to supply your device. The red and black are most likely power. Red positive,
    and Black negative. The Green is most likely your output referenced to ground. (black)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-02 06:21
    As for driving the device you could use an appropriately rated transistor, MOSFET or other driver such as a ULN2x03.· You really do need complete information to get an accurate answer though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com