Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX Video Module Questions — Parallax Forums

SX Video Module Questions

A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
edited 2006-04-25 18:45 in BASIC Stamp
lots and lots of questions:
Can this be programmed just by a BS2?

If not, will an SX keychain work?

Can I download graphics from my computer to it?

If not, do I have to use code to make the graphics? How?

I really liked the looks of the Amulet LCD, but it is discontinued. Can anyone suggest a simple LCD that is just the next step up from Parallax's? Something like the Amulet.

Thanks everyone?
A.C. fishing

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-01 12:27
    You might start by reading the documentation for it. It is in the Video Section.

As I understand it the SX Video Module is to create low resolution characters and graphics on a T.V. or video monitor.
    I believe that you can start out by using the BasicStamp·to program and interface it to other devices.

It would be·quite useful for something where you wanted to overlay text onto a video image -- like a time stamp or to silently broadcast local information over a net of monitors.· You might be able to play a game such as PONG by programing into the BasicStamp.

You expectations seem to be more in line with the new Propeller Chip and the Hydra video that will be coming out soon. And they will knock your socks off. Higher resolution, color, and much more.

The chip along is about the same price.· The Hydra is a whole different story, but WOW!

They will be taking orders for chips on Monday.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/1/2006 12:32:52 PM GMT
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-01 12:33
    Thanks Kramer. Do you know when the hydra will come out?
    edited 2006-04-01 12:46
    Suggest any good LCDs for use with the hydra?
    What is an approximate Hydra price?
    I'm eagerjumpin.gifjumpin.gifjumpin.gifjumpin.gifjumpin.gifjumpin.gifjumpin.gifjumpin.gif
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-01 13:00
    The Hydra will output to your color TV with possible mouse, keyboard, and joysticks.
    All under your programing control! My guess is that it will be under $200 as Mouser has it already listed as such.

Why would you want an LCD for output? Kinda of like hamburger versus steak.
    Sorry, but I buy local Taiwanese LCDs off the shelf.

The Propeller can do must the same as the Hydra and/or LCD, but you have to wire it to do so.
    It is merely the 40 pin DIP at the core of the Hydra's design.

Maybe, you should jump over to the Propeller Forum and catch up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2006-04-01 13:03
    After reading I found you can make your own characters by using

SEROUT SPin,Baud,[noparse][[/noparse]v_PlotXY,X,Y]

To describe the point of a pixel. Will the hydra work this way?

Will it be able to be programmed from the BS2?

Will it support color?

confused.gifconfused.gif

As i asked about the Video Module, will you be able to download a BMP file to it?

ALL IN ALL, where can I find out more???
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2006-04-01 13:04
    A.C.,

Any serial LCD should work fine. I have gotten a Scott Edwards and a G12032 graphics LCD to work just fine using the Propeller, thanks to Martin Hebel's BS2 Functions. Parallel LCD's can be done as well, but I have not done this yet.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-04-01 13:15
    The SX Video module (as stated before) is a low resolution basic graphic character displaying device on a composite video/TV monitor. You·can only display ASCII type graphic characters. It is not advanced enough for PC type graphics (e.g. JPG or BMP) that you may be used to. If you haven't already been out to BEANs site (Hitt Consulting) then go there for more information. All the possible 112 graphic ascii characters are listed there. I have a custom application there too.

www.sxvm.com
    edited 2006-04-01 13:27
    If they will be taking orders Monday, then are the prices for the hydra and propellor out yet?
    edited 2006-04-01 13:29
    Kramer said...
    Why would you want an LCD for output
    Becuase I want something very portable. Maybe I was wrong with the amulet.
    But I what I mean is I want a high quality LCD for the project.
    Thanks
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-04-01 14:59
    >>The Hydra will output to your color TV with possible mouse, keyboard, and joysticks.
    All under your programing control! My guess is that it will be under $200 as Mouser has it already listed as such.<<

I think you've got the Hydra and the Propeller demo board confused with one another. Mouser has a listing on the Propeller demo board with mouse, keyboard and VGA ports.

The Hydra is Andre's project and it's not quite finished yet - see here for more info 205.158.110.70/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=001322
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-04-01 15:08
    A.C.
    The SX-Video module is open-source. If you have an SX-Blitz or SX-Key you can define your own characters bit-maps.
    No you cannot "load" a BMP into it. It is strickly black and white output. If you redefined all the characters you could display an image of 128(h) x 48(v) pixels.

What exactly is it you're trying to do ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module"·available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module"·available from Parallax for only·$49.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015
    Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Available now! Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Mythbusters
    ·
    edited 2006-04-01 15:57
    What I'm trying to do:
    I have created a software that turns each frame in a SWF file into YX of each pixel.
    Then those pixels will go down a USB(I perfer USB to Serial) cord, hook up to a device, the action script will be converted to PBASIC, or SX launguage, or Spin, and go to the device also, and will be shown on the screen, and the Flash game/movie will play on the screen. The same action script used for the keyboard commands will be converted into whatever launguage I'll use and work instead on the buttons on the device. In short, a portable Flash Player. The Player then can be rehooked up and the software on it loaded. As for the long process of converting the code, we must remember that compared to C++,BASIC, or HTML the main codes used in actionscript are very limited.

Those who use Flash will greatly appreciate it.
    edited 2006-04-01 15:58
    The only problems I've had so far is with the prices of different LCDs, and a module that can support the program.
    -Software has always been easier for me...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-04-01 16:36
    The SX Video Module Questions has gotten a little off-topic covering LCDs and the Hydra and Propeller as well.· Perhaps you should start appropriate threads in the appropriate forums for the other questions.· This forum is for the BASIC Stamp and related questions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-04-01 16:55
    sorry. I didn't mean for it to go so far off topic.
    edited 2006-04-02 16:04
    A.C.,
    · You are definately out of the league of the SX-Video module.
    · You might check out this color LCD http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=569

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module"·available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module"·available from Parallax for only·$49.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

·
  • Ken PurcellKen Purcell Posts: 3
    edited 2006-04-06 17:53
    Has this Color LCD been successfully controlled via a Basic Stamp?
    edited 2006-04-09 02:48
    I'm using it with the SX and SXB. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be controlled with the BS2.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2006-04-09 16:05
    Okay, so I was playing with the LCD and a BS2p. Here ya go...
    Sorry for the crumby picture...

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

218 x 190 - 7K
    edited 2006-04-22 03:32
    Bean,

Are you willing to help a noob with a little palm slap on the forehead troubleshooting? I'm now have both the LCD and carrier board from Spark Fun. I got a 3.3 volt regulator and the 10K resistors setup and verified with a voltmeter that they are connected properly.

Loaded your code into my Board of Education with a BS2 stamp but nothing but the LED backlights? Is there some significant timing differences in the code for a BS2 vs BS2p?

I did build a pretty neat little edge card to plug it into the proto area.

Any tips or suggestions?

Ken

P.S.

Ooops, never mind. I had a broken trace on the back of the carrier board. Once fixed every thing works great! I see what you mean about recommending one of the faster stamps. Watching it draw row by row!

Post Edited (Ken Purcell) : 4/22/2006 4:25:42 AM GMT
    edited 2006-04-22 12:11
    Ken,
    Glad you got it figured out. It is cool little LCD display.
    Let us know if you do something cool with it.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"SX-Video OSD module"·available·for only·$49.95·www.sxvm.com

·
    edited 2006-04-23 17:02
    Well, it's now working with pics to prove it. The BS2 in the BOE is a little too slow to do anything usefull. Time to order a faster brain.

I certainly like to thank Bean for the source code. I had ordered the Color LCD screen from Spark Fun over a month ago and was waiting for their carrier boards to be back in stock. Soldering those .5 mm pins wasn't something I was gonna try.

Now to put a face on this Bot.

Ken
    480 x 360 - 38K
    360 x 480 - 28K
  • SterlingSterling Posts: 51
    edited 2006-04-25 05:54
    How come the Parallax website lists the SX Video Module as discontinued?
    edited 2006-04-25 18:45
    Ken,
    · Not to make you jealous, but I have successfully used the SX chip to put some 130x130 4096 color images on the display. Very cool.
    · I wish I had more time, I'd think about making a serial driver board that that LCD (using an SX).

Sterling,
    · I suspect it is because it is not RoHS complient. A new version is being built that is RoHS complient.
    · I don't think it was a big seller for Parallax anyway.
    · The new version WILL be available from me very soon (2 weeks).
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"SX-Video OSD module"·available·for only·$49.95·www.sxvm.com

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 4/25/2006 6:48:23 PM GMT