Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Application: Bode Plotter (Frequency vs. Magnitude) — Parallax Forums

Propeller Application: Bode Plotter (Frequency vs. Magnitude)

Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
edited 2006-04-05 15:58 in Propeller 1
Here is another taste of what the Propeller is capable of with only a few (5) external components added to a demo board.

This project is to be used as a tool much like an oscilloscope, instead this will allow you to do Bode Plots right to your TV.

The example program sweeps the frequency from 50kHz to 5MHz, but is capable of going from DC to 125MHz.
The screen represents a resolution of 200 points from Left to Right (247.5kHz per division) <--(5MHz - 50kHz)/20

The captured video clip simply shows the frequency response of a 100uH coil in series with an adjustable capacitor over
the range of 50kHz to 5MHz as I am manually adjusting the capacitor..

BodePlot.jpg - 10M/1.5M input voltage divider ratio on the input
BodePlot2.jpg - 10M/2.5M input voltage divider ratio on the input

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 4/5/2006 5:17:56 PM GMT
705 x 543 - 61K
320 x 240 - 16K
320 x 240 - 16K

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-03-31 23:25
    Ok, you Parallax guys need to quit having all the fun.... We're trying while doing our real jobs, and awating parts still in many cases....

Way cool Beau! Can't wait until summer to play more!

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Electronic Systems Technologies

Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-01 11:21
    The bandwidth seems quite useful.· Everyday seems to bring an application that is way beyond the BasicStamp and similar devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/1/2006 11:43:56 AM GMT
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-04-01 13:48
    Kramer,

The displayed bandwidth could actually be better. The current program only samples 200 points (bytes) and displays them
    directly on the screen. With 50KHz to 5MHz, the program calculates the step interval to be 24.75 kHz. (5MHz - 50kHz) / 200
    Since I am only using "bytes" I can store at least 1000 instead of 200 if I wanted to and display a "window" of the data, making
    this a "Storage Bode Plot". With 1000 sample points, I could get a 4.95kHz sampling resolution with the current sweep. You
    could also narrow the sweep window to get even more precision. Keep in mind, it does not have to be from 50Khz to 5MHz.

With a little bit of external memory, you could pretty much pick your own bandwidth. The difference between an oscilloscope
    vs. a Bode plot, is that an oscilloscope functions in the time domain, where a Bode plot functions in the frequency domain. What
    is nice, is that you can spend as much "time" as you want to at each frequency point to collect the data/histogram.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 4/1/2006 1:57:18 PM GMT
  • gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
    edited 2006-04-04 00:18
    So Beau,

Your front-end of the 100 uH and varicap make it sensitive to the·50k to 5 meg·range; I guess with a suitable choice of components the frequency range can be varied; I wonder: what will it take to get me to 2.4ghz? The brains of a spectrum analyzer on-a a-chip? And switch in various RF front ends for·ranges...Boggle, boggle...

WAY cool, as Martin asserts!

Jim

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    In the end, it seems that it's all about getting the LEDs to blink....
    edited 2006-04-04 01:43
    gibbman,

"I guess with a suitable choice of components the frequency range can be varied"

Yes, in fact with this "front end" you can go from DC to 125MHz

Notice the voltage divider between the 10M and 1.5Meg resistors for the series LC configuration.
    This allows for a very high input impedance while reading a relatively high voltage at the input
    generated across the "LC tap". The Voltage per division on the scope works out to be about .52V
    with a maximum of 3.3V this gives just under 6.5 divisions as you can see. Multiply this (3.3V) by
    the resistor divider ratio of 10M:1.5M and you get 25.3V or 10M:2.5M and you get 16.5V...
    Note: these voltages to the Propeller are only 3.3V through the divider, and the actual voltages
    could be higher where clipping is observed. If you don't need to divide the input voltage down,
    just omit the 1.5M or the 2.5M resistor.

"I wonder: what will it take to get me to 2.4ghz?"
    Hmm... Even with 8-cog's (<--read 8-phases of 125MHz) you might get 1Ghz but I have my doubts.
    Perhaps a challenge for you to undertake.

"The brains of a spectrum analyzer on-a a-chip? And switch in various RF front ends for ranges...
    Boggle, boggle..."

Not even the tip of the iceberg... smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • SteveWSteveW Posts: 246
    edited 2006-04-04 10:27
    Good grief [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    That's really rather impressive. We might see people actually testing their decoupling strategies, rather than hanging 100uF on 2-foot wires, which would be a good thing!
    Have I missed a data release on the PLLs, IO assistants or video generators, by the way? I can't see anything on the main propeller page, but...

Steve
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-04-04 13:45
    Beau.
    Just for my edification, and so I don't sound like a complete idiot ( better to sound like an incomplete idiot? I don't know but):
    Time / frequency domain.

If I understand you correctly:
    The Bode is like a "snapshot" into a period of Time, where as the OScope is looking at "time", is that correct?
    I'm struggling to get a handle on this, but I think it's within my grasp...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-04-04 14:39
    A Bode plot shows the relationship of frequency to signal strength. Say for example you were measuring the air signals for FM signals, so you sweep the range of 95MHz to 115MHz (I forget real range on my dial). You would see spikes at those frequencies where you have radio stations ( ie - 101.5MHz).

It's also good for filters, such as a low pass filter, to find out what the cutoff frequency would be -- where it changes from a high to low signal strength. Or with a bandpass, to find the range of frequencies it passes.

Hope this helps?
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-04-04 14:42
    Beau,
    About how long did it take to develop this program ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module"·available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module"·available from Parallax for only·$49.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015
    Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Available now! Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Mythbusters
    ·
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-04-04 14:46
    Martin:
    yes it does. Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-04-04 15:28
    Bean,

Ever tried to price a spectrum analyzer?· How about a dual function spectrum analyzer that doubles as a standard oscilloscope?
    How about something that will provide basic information without all of the Bells and whistles?

So why not use a Propeller IC to do the job?

I've had the idea/need for this program for quite some time.· As an example of how you can incorporate someone else’s object
    code, things didn't start coming together until Chip provided an example for using the Sigma-delta ADC/DAC converter.· I modified
    his original code and schematic so that it works with a high input impedance, and removed the external DAC section.· Another
    program that Chip provided uses the specialized PLL counters to synthesize a frequency from DC to 125MHz.· I tied these programs
    together with a scope graphic that I created back in January... at the time, the Scope only functioned as a single channel digital
    scope as a conceptual design.

After I had all of the pieces in place, it probably took 2 hours or less to put together.· The graphics are trivial; the objects
    for basic functions such as POINT, LINE, etc. are already in place, as well as a TV driver.

some Bode Plot information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot
    http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/eLessonsHTML/Freq/Freq5.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 4/4/2006 3:31:15 PM GMT
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-04-04 17:35
    Beau,
    I'm amazed. Just flat-out blown away by the propeller. $25 is a STEAL for this chip. I can't wait to start playing with it.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module"·available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module"·available from Parallax for only·$49.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015
    Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Available now! Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Mythbusters
    ·
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2006-04-05 00:11
    Hi All;

Not to take anything away from Beau great example here.....

But to the best of my recollection from University days (truly a long time ago), a Bode Plot required both amplitude and phase versus frequency. Without the phase information it is just a spectrum plot.

Great going Beau!

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-04-05 01:26
    It's a Beau'd plot, at least. With some more processing, it could show phase, too.
    pjv said...
    Hi All;

Not to take anything away from Beau great example here.....

But to the best of my recollection from University days (truly a long time ago), a Bode Plot required both amplitude and phase versus frequency. Without the phase information it is just a spectrum plot.

Great going Beau!

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-04-05 02:27
    smilewinkgrin.gif Thanks Chip...

pjv,

A Bode plot is "usually a combination of a Bode magnitude plot and Bode phase plot"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot

Note: The Bode magnitude and Bode phase are usually two seperate graphs, but can
    be superimposed.

I didn't specify which (magnitude or phase), but as Chip indicated, with a small
    change to the software you can also show phase differences. The way Martin Hebel's
    BS2.COUNT routine works as well as the way the BS2.PULSIN routine works provide
    a clue as to how the phase can be measured.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41113
    attachment.php?attachmentid=41114

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 4/5/2006 3:47:38 AM GMT
    805 x 316 - 69K
    903 x 369 - 86K
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2006-04-05 02:56
    Hi Beau;

Please, I was not attempting to belittle your achievement.... very clever indeed.

It's just the way I remember our Prof pounding that into us. And we didn't have Wikipedia then. Perhaps I should have Googled or Wikied.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-04-05 03:01
    Beau, you've been quoting me as the author of the BS2 commands, when it's Martin's. Im flattered, but he deserves the credit. I got sidetracked working in assembly, which was taking longer than expected. But with Peter's generous gift I should be back on track soon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    6+6=10 (Long live the duodecimal system)
    edited 2006-04-05 03:11
    Hey!!!! Paul's right! I didn't even notice. I was staring at my own code trying to figure out how to get phase out of it.... still not sure to tell you the truth.. :P

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

edited 2006-04-05 03:14
    pjv,

"Please, I was not attempting to belittle your achievement.... very clever indeed."

No offense taken, I learned a long time ago that I am not perfect. I take it as
    constructive criticism.

Hey, I'm still learning electronics! There is ALWAYS something new to discover,
    don't stop at the book in front of you. That's my attitude anyway smilewinkgrin.gif

Paul Baker,

"Beau, you've been quoting me as the author of the BS2 commands, when it's Martin's. Im flattered, but he deserves the credit."

Opps!! My bad Sorry Martin

Martin Hebel,

"I was staring at my own code trying to figure out how to get phase out of it.... still not sure to tell you the truth"

I think it can be done more so using a derivative of the PULSIN command rather than the COUNT command by manipulating the
    phsa or phsb registers and looking at the assigned input and output pins. With the output set as your frequency sweep pin, feeding
    the "circuit under test". A test point or probe on the "circuit under test" would be the input. The difference in delay between the
    two pins should have the phase relationship you want.

Phase = tdelay * Frequency * 360

Example:

A 60Hz sine wave generated at the output that lagged the input by 4.1667mSec would have a phase of -90 deg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 4/5/2006 2:42:46 PM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-05 15:43
    Beau,
    Would these Bode plots be useful to identify EMI from DC motors and such?

I am thinking that many of robotic EMI problems might be more easlily resolved if one could actually identify the frequencies that are most problematic and filter the power supply accordingly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-04-05 15:56
    It is possible if the propeller· runs· a FFT (Fast Fourier Transform)
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-05 15:58
    That question should be posted in a separate thread -- this one is about Bode plotting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax