Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debugging in IDE — Parallax Forums

Debugging in IDE

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2006-04-01 13:33 in Propeller 1
Is the Snap IDE baked w/ software language debugging capabilities, breakpoints, watches, etc, etc - the usual drill?

Thanks, ALIBE
·

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-31 20:26
    Not currently, no. Keep in mind that this is a multi-processor device, and one could easily create a cog that does nothing but keep track of values for a program running in another cog. There is also a feature of the IDE that allows you to download and run right from RAM, and in this mode you don't overwrite the program EEPROM used by the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-03-31 20:29
    Thanks Jon.

Does IDE show memory map or processor slice - to visualize what's going on in each cog?

if not, no worries for me for now - I can dogfood w/o it - There's always ver 2 [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-31 21:28
    No, but one of my colleagues said he thought he might be able to write a seperate cog program to do just that; it could even take advantage of the TV object and "play" a live memory map on a video monitor! Now, that was educated speculation and there is no such debugging object at this time -- maybe you'll write one after you get you Propeller up and running.

All kidding aside, the modularity of Spin makes it easy to write and test small modules before incorporating them into a big project -- this saves a lot of frustrating debuggin time later.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-04-01 13:33
    Jon thanks.
    that cog prog will be useful for both selfeducational and application purposes.

From reading thru the threads (and no practical experience w/ actually coding spin), I agree w/ the modularity of spin lang format that it makes it very easy to build small objects and later integrate into larger objects or progs.

Debugging tools become increasingly important and more so required as and when devs start integrating these small objects into larger stacks - especially to sys integration testing and not so much when doing unit testing. I'm thinking about my ALIBE (Artificial LIfe BEing) project and if I were to use propeller to building that, what is it that I will need from dev stack perspective. And, having a good debugging capability in my IDE would be a good one to have.

IMHO.

·