Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2pe oem — Parallax Forums

BS2pe oem

Helen CHelen C Posts: 34
edited 2006-04-08 17:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am having trouble with BS2pe OEM that I have built.· Please see the attached bit map for the layout.· When I connect to the Stamp Editor I get an echo but no loopback and "No BASIC Stamps found".

Can any one help please?

Cheers

Helen

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-03-31 17:46
    You may need to add the 0.1uf capacitor between the ground and the ATN line.· Look on page 28 of the BASIC Stamp manual version 2.2

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2006-03-31 18:09
    Helen, the schematic looks fine to me.

-- check power supply, on all chips.
    -- check soldering under a microscope
    -- check for RST/ and TX and RX activity right at the Stamp pins. ('scope if available)
    -- check for voltage levels on the eeprom.
    -- be sure your SX48 is really programmed as a BS2pe. (not a 'p for example)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Helen CHelen C Posts: 34
    edited 2006-03-31 18:37
    Thanks Tracy - I will try what you suggested. Cheers H
  • Helen CHelen C Posts: 34
    edited 2006-04-03 13:53
    I have just spent the day testing the board with a scope and comparing it to a BS2pe module.

1. there is RST/, TX and RX activity at the SX48 pins
    2. the noise on the 5V rail is +/- 40 mV ripple
    3. the eeprom levels are at 5 V but there is some noise on both the SCL and SDA pins

So, do you think that the noise on the 5V rail could be the cause of the problem? The 5V reg is LT1762.

Cheers,

Helen
    edited 2006-04-03 16:40
    Hi Helen,

Also check the crystal pins for oscillation. On a voltmeter, OSC2 (pin 3 on the SX48) should be at approximatly 2.5 volts. On a 'scope with a 10x probe, you should see a squarish wave with a period of 12.5 ns.

Is there activity on the eeprom lines, conincidental with the activity on tx and rx?

Again, check the soldering on the SX48, especially to pins 1 to 9. If it was hand soldered, it is awfully easy to have an fatal open or shorted connection.

Good luck. I'm sure you will resolve the problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • drnillesdrnilles Posts: 4
    edited 2006-04-06 02:12
    Did you install the latest Stamp Editor v.2.2.5? It's needed to comunicate with the BS2pe modules.

Don Nilles
  • RandyRandy Posts: 79
    edited 2006-04-07 23:16
    Hi Helen,

Definatly go to the Parallax web site and download 2.2.5. I spent hours trying to figure out why a BS2 ran a program just fine and all I got from the BS2pe was "could not find stamp". All of my books suggested that both the stamps will run on the version I had but obviously there has been a change in the newer manufactured stamps. Chris Savage sugested the update and I have since had a happy stamp.

Randy

P.S. to the Parallax guys if you read the replies, I Don't know how long ago you made the change in the stamp but you might consider a note in the stamps packaging concerning what version of software is needed.
    edited 2006-04-08 17:48
    That is a possibility. Version 1.2 BS2pe's work fine with the older version 2.2 IDE. However, the latest public BS2pe firmware is version 1.4 (It deals with a bug in DTMF frequencies). I had a support call yesterday regarding the same issue, that the new BS2pe v 1.4 was recognized only by the version 2.25 IDE now available on the Parallax web site. There was also an issue with our Stache microprogrammer in relation to the new IDE that we are going to have to resolve.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com