Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Moving from the Development board to a project box. — Parallax Forums

Moving from the Development board to a project box.

superprosuperpro Posts: 17
edited 2006-03-30 05:56 in BASIC Stamp
I have my BASIC Stamp programmed and complete. However, I need to move it to a small self contained box.
·
Can someone help with the pin-outs of the BS2-IC and a diagram for a power supply from a 9vdc battery?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-30 01:15
    Hello,

·· The serial connections are documented in the BASIC Stamp Manual.· What other connections do you need help with?· The power supply connections should be straight forward but I don't know your skill level.· Vss is ground.· Use Vin if your power supply is from 5.5V to 12V, or Vdd if you're using a regulated 5V supply.· The Super Carrier Board is probably one of the easiest ways to make your project more permanent.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27130

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • superprosuperpro Posts: 17
    edited 2006-03-30 01:25
    Thanks for the quick reply. The Super Carrier Board is backordered.

Also, I would like to get a diagram for a good regulated 5V power supply with a 9V battery. Do you know where I can get this diagram?
    edited 2006-03-30 01:32
    These are available in the schematics which are located at the bottom of the product page I posted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-03-30 01:34
    So, I don't need a 5V power supply?
    edited 2006-03-30 01:35
    You could use a 9V supply on Vin.· I'm not sure what you're asking.· If you need 5V for other things then yes, you will need a regulator and such.· The schematics for our boards show how these are connected and which part number to use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-03-30 01:42
    I thought I had to have a 5V supply for the Stamp board. Thanks for the help Chris!!
    edited 2006-03-30 01:48
    You either need a 5V supply or you need a 5.5V to 12V supply.· It would really help to know what all is connected to your project to know what you need.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-03-30 05:56
    superpro said...
    The Super Carrier Board is backordered.
    Mouser has them in stock:
    www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=528161

The BS2 has a small voltage regulator on-board which is why you can use 5.5V to 12V on Vin. But if you are driving any other 5V components, you'll need a regulated 5V power supply.

I'm just getting started with the Basic Stamp myself. I picked up a copy of The Microcontroller Application cookbook by Matt Gilliland. It has a section on power requirements and a schematic for making a 5V regulated supply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows