Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
serial driven Dual LCD display — Parallax Forums

serial driven Dual LCD display

firestorm.v1firestorm.v1 Posts: 94
edited 2006-03-31 21:44 in BASIC Stamp
I have a new project in mind for building a serially driven dual LCD display head for two 2x20LCD displays. I am using the Basic Stamp Homework board.
My idea is that a list of keywords will be reserved for special commands (CLS, LOC,INT). The LOC command (LOCation) will be followed with 3 sets of numbers, display(0 or 1), line(1 or 2), character position(1-20) for cursor placement.

I haven't tried to work with the serial port on the stamp yet but I am curious on how to delegate flow control, will I need to bring up the DTR pin (for example) to get the stamp's attention that I want to send info to it? Will the information come across in a single hex value that I can send to the LCD? Anyone have any pointers that would help me get this project started?

So far I have only seen basic stamp-to-stamp communications but haven't seen stamp-to-PC communications, hence my questions. I figure once I get the serial port information down, I can handle the LCD and will post information and schelatics upon completion. I know I could probably just bite the bullet and buy a pre-fab serial LCD solution, but learning's half the fun.. (the other half is tracing down that burnt peanuts smell.. :P )

Thanks in advance, I'm excited about this project.

Comments