Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using a 13.56 Mhz RFID reader with BASIC Stamp — Parallax Forums

Using a 13.56 Mhz RFID reader with BASIC Stamp

Martin AaMartin Aa Posts: 2
edited 2006-03-31 02:25 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to use an RFID reader that can read most common RFID tags with BASIC Stamp. Parallax's RFID reader is working on 125kHz while most common tags communicate at 13.56Mhz.

Would anyone know of an RFID reader that would connect to a BASIC Stamp in a not-too-complicated way?

Kind regards
//martin

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-28 17:54
    Have you tried a Google search?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Martin AaMartin Aa Posts: 2
    edited 2006-03-28 20:58
    yes, a pretty thorough search. Noone seems to have done it, as far as I can see.

//martin
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-03-30 16:06
    As one who has also googled at length, there seems to be two categories of reader parts out there.

One is a fully configured reader assembly, including antenna, support chips, etc., and is intended to communicate with a "server" with "full voltage" serial or other means. Other than the products like the Parallax reader (and at least one clone) that read the 125 MHz tags, these things are several hundred dollars. I have not seen anything "affordable" in other frequency ranges. That doesn't mean the don't exist, just that I didn't find any.

The other end of the spectrum is "chip level" where there is an IC that will take care of driving the antenna and reading/writing the tags, but require the user to design and develop all the require support circuitry, including the antenna. I suspect this does not fall into the category of "connect to a BASIC Stamp in a not-too-complicated way?"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • DrWass2DrWass2 Posts: 2
    edited 2006-03-31 02:25
    There is a very nice kit (many variations) available from Quality Kits· (· Qkits.com· ).· I bought two kits and several tags· (125Khz).·· Simple and work nice.·· they have RS232 serial output, but since its a board you can probably pick up the serial at 5 volts somewhere.···· the kit I got was KS232· and was $66.95.· I'm sure you can interface it to a BAsic Stamp no problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DrWass2