Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
fading leds with bs2? — Parallax Forums

fading leds with bs2?

meredth78meredth78 Posts: 18
edited 2006-03-28 04:22 in BASIC Stamp
i am new to microcontrollers and need a little help. i am trying to get some leds to blink three times then fade out on the third flash.·i can do this with a 555, a digital pot an scr,and a few other passive components,·but people keep telling me this is easier.

can someone help me please.

thanks

Post Edited (meredth78) : 3/27/2006 6:10:22 AM GMT

Comments

• meredth78meredth78 Posts: 18
    edited 2006-03-27 06:09
    ah ha....just i just figured it out. can any one tell me how hard it is to do this same thing with pic basic? i'd hate to use my boe-bot chip for just this.

Post Edited (meredth78) : 3/27/2006 6:12:32 AM GMT
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-27 06:22
    Meredeth -

It's simple if you either konw PIC assembler, or already own some other software. If you use PIC Basic Pro from Micro Engineering Labs you can nearly use the same program for both!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-03-27 15:40
    where should i begin with pic's? what is the easiest way to get started? with the BS2 i bought a boe-bot and learned what i now from there. it was a nice package that included everything i needed to get started at a reasonable price. is there something similar with a pic package?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-27 15:49
    meredth78 said...
    where should i begin with pic's? what is the easiest way to get started? with the BS2 i bought a boe-bot and learned what i now from there. it was a nice package that included everything i needed to get started at a reasonable price. is there something similar with a pic package?
    This would be more appropriate on a PIC Support Forum.· We do not support PIC nor can we offer any starter kits.· Now if you're interested in the SX, we can offer support and help there.· You can find some SX information at the following link, including protoboards for only $9.95 including the chip!

http://www.parallax.com/sx/index.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-27 16:17
    Meredth -

Please don't let Chris scare you off, but it is his job, as one of the Sys Admins to "police" the forum and ask for non-Parallax discussions to cease, and rightfully so. However, I highly doubt whether you even knew about the Parallax SX product line. I only followed up with the PIC comments as you seemed to know what they were, so let me take the "blame" here smile.gif

The following hardly does justice to the SX processor, so look at the link Chris provided for more in depth information. The following are just my own observations from my limited use of the SX product line.

There are a number of couterparts to PIC microcontrollers, and one of them is the Ubicom SX processor, which Parallax sells. One nice thing about using it is that you don't incur the heavy software compiler costs that you do/may with other similar products, using other microcontrollers. There IS a cost involved, but recently it has become more "rock-bottom" than ever, with the re-introduction of the SX-Blitz. The purchased part (other than the chip itself) in the SX system is a dongle, with which you program the chip, and depending on which dongle you purchase, you may also use it for debugging. The cost of the SX-Blitz dongle is presently $ 29.00 US which makes it quite affordable. Here is a link to that low end dongle, which DOES NOT permit interactive debugging:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45170

One of the nicest feature about the SX/B Compiler (SX Basic) is that you can program to your heart's content in Basic, but if for some reason you need to "reach down" to a lower, hardware level, you can drop right into SX assembler, perform those necessary functions, and return immediately back to a Basic environment. The SX/B compiler, and all the documentation for using it, is FREE for the download.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 3/27/2006 4:35:21 PM GMT
    edited 2006-03-28 04:22
    Sorry guys…I meant no trouble. Just looking for advice. Thanks for the info Bruce. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

ps- i do have to say that parallax is second to none with their support!

Post Edited (meredth78) : 3/28/2006 4:25:08 AM GMT