Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Compact Flash Memory — Parallax Forums

Compact Flash Memory

Todd DeckerTodd Decker Posts: 7
edited 2006-03-28 03:41 in BASIC Stamp
I'm working on a prototype application that requires a large (relative to STAMP EEPROM standards) amount of storage to store a database of key-value pairs (numeric). I'll need to be able to add records, modify records, search them (binary tree) and delete them. I figure the best way to handle this is to interface the Stamp to a compact flash memory card.

Has anyone tried this?

freaked.gif Todd

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-26 16:52
    The Alfat is frequently recommended for data storage on flash memory cards. You can buy the chip seperately or mounted to a development board (uAlfat-SD) www.ghielectronics.com/uALFAT.htm
  • Todd DeckerTodd Decker Posts: 7
    edited 2006-03-26 17:00
    Thank you, Forrest. I'll check it out.
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-03-28 01:09
    Todd Decker said...
    I'm working on a prototype application that requires a large (relative to STAMP EEPROM standards) amount of storage to store a database of key-value pairs (numeric). I'll need to be able to add records, modify records, search them (binary tree) and delete them. I figure the best way to handle this is to interface the Stamp to a compact flash memory card.

Rogue Robotics has two items that might fit this need. First they have a module I've used called the uMP3:

RogueRoboticsUMP3-110A1-150.gif

In some of my projects I've used it to record data to SD/MMC cards from a Basic Stamp. The card is formatted Fat32 so reading it with a PC is easy. Rogue also sells uMMC module that uses SD/MMC cards too:

RogueRoboticsUMMC-100A2-150.gif

Where the uMP3 has both data and sound capabilities, the uMMC is data only.

The uMP3 retails for $99.00 Canadian (that works out to $85.50 usd)

The uMMC retails for $49.99 Canadian (that works out to $42.74 usd)

Details on the uMP3 are here and details on the uMMC are here. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-03-28 01:15
    Forrest said...
    The Alfat is frequently recommended for data storage on flash memory cards. You can buy the chip seperately or mounted to a development board (uAlfat-SD) www.ghielectronics.com/uALFAT.htm

Are these guys still around? when I tried the link above, I got this:

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.ghielectronics.com/uALFAT.htm

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.ghielectronics.com 

The dnsserver returned:

Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query. 

Generated Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:49:32 GMT

Update: I did some digging (well, "googling") and found a site that sells the item:

http://www.saelig.com

The ALFAT seems to have SD-MMC, CF and IDE capabilities. It sells on that site for $89.00 I still can't get to the "www.ghielectronics.com" parent site though...

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 3/28/2006 1:29:41 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-03-28 02:56
    I have no problems with the site Vern, I do however experience problems with getting DNS resolution from sites that arent already cached locally when my computer has been on for a long time (haven't quite tracked down what causes this yet). A reboot of my computer fixes this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-28 03:41
    I think they're updating their web site. I did have some problems getting on their site yesterday but today it works fine. The uAlfat is new version of their Alfat chip. I downloaded the doc yesterday and it was dated March, 2006. Saelig is selling the uAlfat-SD for $39.95.