Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
putting basic stamp on a breadboard — Parallax Forums

putting basic stamp on a breadboard

Dave45Dave45 Posts: 36
edited 2006-03-27 03:27 in BASIC Stamp
I want to install a bs2 on a breadboard and use it for experiments. Searched the internet but couldn't find anything helpful. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-26 05:41
    Install the BS2 in a DIP24 socket and push both into the breadboard.
  • Dave45Dave45 Posts: 36
    edited 2006-03-26 13:57
    I guess I wasn't real clear. I'm pretty new to electronics. I want to build the circuits on a breadboard·so it resembles a boe-board. I'm trying to find info on how to go about it. I think it would be a good learning experience for me. I appreciate your reply. That explains how to put the stamp on the board. I just need to know how to set everything else up so I don't fry anything. Any web sites or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.· Great forum!
    ·
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-03-26 14:06
    · I think that you would learn a lot more by seeing and working with something done right in the first place than you will or could by struggling along, worrying and wondering,·as you've proposed.
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-03-26 14:26
    Get the Book Electronics for dummies.
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-03-26 14:29
    Look at the last page of this PDF for a schematic of the Board of Education (rev C). I would highly recommend that you buy one as they are put together well and give you less headache. But if you want to test it out, here is the circuit.

http://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/283101.pdf
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-26 15:05
    If just looking for a less expensive version of the BOE - then check out the Super Carrier board for $19.95 here www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27130

Add a small breadboard for $4.95 www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=700-00012 and you'll have a development board that has almost all the features of the $65 BOE.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-27 02:48
    Dave45,

·· I think the hardest part for someone not experienced in electronics would be connecting the Serial Cable and the power connections.· Especially the serial cable though because you would really need to hack one for the best results, or wire a DB9-F on the breadboard.· Still, it wouldn't be easy at all if you're totally new.· I would recommend experimenting with some lesser circuits on the breadboard first and fully study the BOE Schematic posted above.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jeff DegeJeff Dege Posts: 85
    edited 2006-03-27 03:27
    The Stamps' serial interface only needs four wires. Messing about with DB9's is a waste.

I picked up a 9-pin female crimp-type D-Sub connector at Radio Shack, and wired to a length of telephone cord. The other end got a four-pin header receptacle.

I just push the Stamp straight into the breadboard, and put a four-pin header into the tie-points adjacent to to the stamp pins.