Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
card reader with a backup storage device using parallax MC's — Parallax Forums

card reader with a backup storage device using parallax MC's

roger_singroger_sing Posts: 9
edited 2006-04-16 00:35 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi

I was just wondering if one of the general purpose pins be used or progrmmed to store information like a magnetic card reader.· I am trying to use the BS2pe to store information·from magnetic cards using a magnetic reader head.· I tried something similar with a Dallas microcontroller (DS2252 T32) and it seems to work fine.But, I like working with the parallax micrcontrollers for my project as it is very·user friendly.· I am trying to create a time management device similar like a backup device for my project.· I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that can be done or altered to make it work like a reader.· I know for a fact that the BS2pe needs to be told what·information is flowing in through its pins.· I am not quiet sure how to tell it to work like a reader.·

Thanks.

Post Edited (roger_sing) : 4/16/2006 12:40:47 AM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-24 18:07
    Roger,

·· Your message subject is somewhat misleading...But in any event, if the Mag Card Reader doesn't have a serial chip on it then the BASIC Stamp will not be fast enough to capture the data from it.· What you need is a small micro, such as an SX which can read the data and then serially send it to the BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-24 18:34
    The SX would be a more appropriate controller for your project. You can use SX/B to simplify programming, and take advantage of the SX's speed in order to read the data from the card.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • roger_singroger_sing Posts: 9
    edited 2006-03-24 19:11
    Hi

I appologize if my subject was misleading.· Does this require any special··codes?· I looked into the parallax website and I found codes for RFID readers.· Just curious to know if there are any codes that would help my project.

Many Thanks.

Post Edited (roger_sing) : 3/24/2006 7:39:16 PM GMT
    edited 2006-03-24 19:22
    If you use the SX I think someone has tackled this before on recommendation to that chip.· You would need the specifications for the card reader.· As I recall it is somewhat similar to SPI protocol having a clock (sync) and data line.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-03-28 23:19
    Hi

There are no specifications on the card reader, as the SX/B itself is supposed·to work like a card reader.··A magnetic reader head is to be connected to the pins on SX/B and act like a stand alone card reader.· The reader is to also store data in its memory for time and attendance management.· Are there any resources that would help me undestand how to programme a SX/B similar to this.

Many Thanks.
    edited 2006-03-28 23:35
    Roger,

·· Going directly from the head to the SX chip most likely isn't going to work.· Every card reader I have seen at least has the head/pickup/amplifier circuitry in place.· The SX isn't going to provide that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-04-16 00:35
    Hi!

I made a magnetic card reader using a sx chip.· I wanted to use a basic stamp· module to store data passing through the·SX chip.This would help me create a backup device.· I·am thinking about connecting the data pins·from the sx chip·to the pins on· basic stamp and have it store the data in its EEPROM.· I am not quiet sure how I code the BS2pe module to store this data.· If I code it to just receive numberic data through·one of its general purpose·pins would it do the job?·