Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sorry meant SX video module — Parallax Forums

Sorry meant SX video module

A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
edited 2006-03-25 17:21 in BASIC Stamp
Using this app, can I hook up the SX to an old computer monitor and when something hits a switch, the char on the screen moves forward?

Post Edited (A.C. fishing) : 3/23/2006 12:06:09 PM GMT

Comments

• T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-03-23 12:55
    The SX Video module and SX Video OSD module both work on composite video (TV, VCR, Yellow RCA connector type). If your monitor supports this then it is ok (like some of the older Commodore / Amiga monitors) but if it is SVGA as all current computer monitors are then you will need to convert the composite video signal into SVGA so that it can be used with your monitor. This is fairly expensive so you may want to use a TV with video input (or use the video input from a VCR to a TV) - instead of converting the signal to use with your monitor.

The SX Video module and SX Video OSD modules only have outputs and no inputs for your switch. This means you will have to use something like a Basic Stamp or SX chip (SX-28,48, etc..) for it's I/O.

Your task is very possibly using a video monitor and a Basic Stamp to keep it in simple terms.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-03-23 13:50
    A.C.
    The source code for the video modules is freely available. If you really wanted to you could actually modifiy the firmware for the module to allow it to work stand-alone. It already has a voltage regulator, and the outputs can easily be made to be inputs.

Of course for a 1-off project it would be alot faster to just use a stamp as Timothy has suggested.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module"·available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module"·available from Parallax for only·$49.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015
    Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Coming soon... Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
    ·
    edited 2006-03-25 14:10
    If you do have a standard computer monitor (SVGA), you may want to check out this converter that allows for high resolution conversion of composite video (SX Video modules, VCR, Gaming consoles, etc.) so they can be displayed on a SVGA monitor for about $65.

http://www.x2vga.com/

Thanks.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-25 16:21
    The X2VGA allows you to connect a Component video source to a VGA monitor. It doesn't work with Composite video sources like the SX Video module and last generation gaming consoles.

Post Edited (Forrest) : 3/25/2006 4:24:17 PM GMT
    edited 2006-03-25 17:21
    Your right. My mistake - I didn't catch that (Component / Composite). As Forest states, it will not work so disreguard my past posting.