Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
add memory — Parallax Forums

add memory

jeanjean Posts: 21
edited 2006-03-20 18:24 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I have a BS2-pe microcontroller that I use to log data. Since my program is large it takes up a lot of space from the EEPROM. I want to add more memory to store data. What kind of module should I add to my project?
Thank you

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-20 16:50
    jean,

·· The BASIC Stamp has multiple slots of program memory.· Are you using all of these?· On top of the program memory there are 8 additional banks dedicated to data storage.· These should normally be available.· Are you using these?· In all there should be sixteen (16) 2K slots, 8 of which can be used for program/data and 8 which could be used for data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • jeanjean Posts: 21
    edited 2006-03-20 17:07
    How can I access these additional banks?
    Do I use the WRITE and READ commands like the EEPROM?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-20 17:16
    Please see the BASIC Stamp Manual or help file on the STORE command.· This should get you the information that you require.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-20 17:47
    jean -

The BS-2pe has 2K x 8 bytes of program space (8 banks) and an additional 16K of data space. Are you sure you're using it correctly?

If you're using the memory map facility to determine how much space you've used, DON'T! That will only show you one bank at a time. The TOTAL program space being used would be the SUM of all the program used in EACH memory bank.

Here are some applications notes on the use of the BS-2pe, thanks to Dr. Tracy Allen:
    http://www.emesystems.com/BS2pe.htm

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-03-20 18:03
    Thank you very much for your patience.
    edited 2006-03-20 18:24
    Now I understand. I have 16 times more space than what I thought. Basically I need to switch around the banks using the STORE command along with READ/WRITE
    I guess I should leave bank 0 for my program(avoid overwriting) and use bank 1-15 for logging.
    Thanks for the information