Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
large lcd + bs2p40 — Parallax Forums

large lcd + bs2p40

CharlesKCharlesK Posts: 5
edited 2006-03-19 21:04 in BASIC Stamp
I'm looking to purchase a large LCD and drive it with the bs2p40.
by large I'm thinking in the range of 1/4 VGA to full 640x480 vga

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look for a device like this that will accept the Bs2p40 i2c or parallel mode commands?

·

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-19 00:29
    Charles -

Here is a unit which may be better yet, since it operates on asynchrounous serial, and uses fewer pins than I2C or parallel connected LCD's. It also offers a20 x 32 graphics capabilities, and 4 editable user text fonts as follows:

4 lines by 20 characters (default)
    4 lines by 10 characters (wide font)
    2 lines by 20 characters (tall font)
    2 lines by 10 characters (large font)

Here is a link to the SEETRON web site, and to that LCD:
    http://www.seetron.com/sgx120_1.htm

I suspect this is the same unit, which is sold on the Parallax website, but is backordered at present:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27936

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • CharlesKCharlesK Posts: 5
    edited 2006-03-19 04:23
    thank you for the input bruce, I will probably be ordering a few of those here in the next week or so for another project... the simpler interface will make some of my hobby projects much easier to do by freeing some pins

what I want to do for my current project is draw a map on an LCD and then put·markers on the map based on sensor data

I'd like to go even larger than this if possible

a dream would be the same input format on a screen that's 4-6 inches in size
  • Scott KnauertScott Knauert Posts: 7
    edited 2006-03-19 21:04
    Assuming you don't need color, a good lcd is anything SED1335 based. It isn't quite as popular as the HD440 is for character, but may other controllers will support the instruction set. I have a 240x128 graphic myself on my PC's parallel port (with a T6963C which uses virtually the same set), but the same controllers will power 320x240 ones also. Check out www.crystalfontz.com/products/index-grph.html The two biggest at the end are 320x240 and use the controller. Programming an LCD directly from a stamp is theoretically doable, but much harder. The controller uses a parallel interface and some registers to communicate (it is only slightly more complex to interface than an HD440). It has basic x,y coordinate ability, but as I recall can also do shapes and possibly even memory transfer (i.e. bitmap) operations. I suggest looking at the datasheet for the controller, and it's instruction set and seeing if that is a direction you want to go. The only downside here besides having to write a fairly complex program, is an lcd that size will cost you over $100.